Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Win8.1 recovery/reset

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  lunarlander 
#1 ·
I d/l Win8.0 Pro (3 upgrade copies) in the very beginning of its life when it was $40x2 and $15 from Win7Pro. Now the hitch: one of the PC's crapped out and in order to use the recovery or reset option, the OS asks for "recovery media" which I don't have. BTW, I upgraded to Win8.1 in the interim but my product key only works in Win8.0. MS tech support is OK but their solutions so far are just so-so and my spare PC just sits there. I have a working 8.1 PC, does anyone know which files in Win8.1 tend to be corrupted so that I could copy them from the working PC to the non working one?

#2 ·
Does the non-working PC still boot. If it does, open an elevated command prompt and do "sfc /scannow" It can repair some corrupted files.

Some files in \Windows are owned and managed by an internal account called TrustedInstaller. You cannot modify or replace those files in any way; so copying files over from another PC won't work.

Corrupted files usually indicate a hard drive with bad sectors. That usually can be dealt with by right click on C drive, choose Properties > Tools tab > Check Now button. There aren't any files that "tend to be corrupted".

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.