1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

win8.1 & the win8 DVD

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by nichos, Mar 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nichos

nichos Thread Starter

Hi,

With 8.1 forced upon us on PC & Laptop without knowing it was upgrading, what will happen now If I want to use my Win8 DVD to repair?.

I tried the DVD in the w8.1 laptop, it asked for the IDnos. I made sure twice I typed them correctly, took ages to check them & then said are not the correct ones.

Did the same on my PC, typed same ID, it was accepted & proceeded to install but, I was not sure if the "Repair" would come up eventually so aborted the install.

What would happen if I went on to repair or install? would I loose my system? .....thanx ....nick

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You did notice that you posted this in the wrong section, in the Windows 10 section? Twice at that. I would advise you to post in the Windows 8 section for questions relating to Windows 8. I'll move this thread to the correct Windows 8 section.

As for the answer to your question, download and make a new Windows 8.1 installation media, this new download will supposedly take a Windows 8.0 key: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

Also don't forget that Windows 8/8.1 has built in Reset and Recovery options: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows-8/restore-refresh-reset-pc

3. nichos

nichos Thread Starter

Sorry,

forgive my ignorance, I did not know there was a w10, I thought tit referred to 8.1 as I did not see the 8.1 listed.

And thanx for the info, just completed an Win Inst.media ISO. ............nick

4. nichos

nichos Thread Starter

Unfortunately I deleted the Win Inst.media ISO I created within w8.1 blue window for burning the iso & can not find it anywhere now with search.

I noticed the attached called image backup but is not an ISO, I am a bit lost as to what to do with it, I thought I was burning an ISO to a DVD to install w8.1 in emergency.

Attached Files:

• ISO.jpg
      ISO.jpg
      File size:
      186.2 KB
      Views:
  5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If you deleted it, then re-download it.

Your screenshot seems to be of a backup, not sure how that's relevant?

6. nichos

nichos Thread Starter

I created it wth w8.1's cntrl panel File history option "System Image Backup".

I wonder if this when recovered will run the PC or will need wi8.1 to be installed, I find it rather confusing.

I thought an Image will run the PC & a backup will need win install.

Attached Files:

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  8. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

A Windows 8 DVD cannot be used to repair or refresh Windows 8.1
    If the laptop came with windows 8 pre-installed then the licence key is embedded in the firmware, as indeed it is with the desktop - if that is an OEM eg Dell etc., with Windows 8 pre-installed.

I am not sure which numbers you mean
    However now that you have 8.1 - presumably installed from Windows store - you need to create the Recovery drive on a USB pen - Control Panel - Recovery - create recovery drive.
    You will notice that you have the option to include on the recovery drive - any OEM installed recovery partition. HOWEVER please be aware that even if you have such on your laptop or indeed the desktop - that will if used - take you back to windows 8.

The recovery drive - allows you to boot the computer when Windows cannot be accessed and then you have the same options as you would on the advanced menu - troubleshooting - if you could get there from Windows.

When the computer is booted with the recovery drive and the drive containing the system image is already connected, then one of the options will to be to recover from the system image

YOU may also as my colleague suggested download the 8.1 installation media and then burn that to a dvd or usb so that if all else fails, at least you can reinstall from that and then recover your files from the file history.
    Of course using that procedure all programs for which you do not have the install media will be lost

Triple6 - sorry typing before your last post.

9. nichos

nichos Thread Starter

Thanx,

1. Macho, the 8 sets of key no.s/letters that came when I bought my DVD separately
    & you need those to install w8.1.

2. I tried to create a System Image & used File History which produced this file "WindowsIMAGEBackup" containing four sub directories & a list of files as attached below.

Mistakenly I thought I was an ISO of my System image to burn on DVD to recover my PC in case of emergency.

Now I do not know what to do with these files. ........nick

Attached Files:

10. Macboatmaster

The system image backup on 8.1 does NOT create an ISO file
    when you open system image backup from Control Panel File history you are presented with a window that allows you to create the image on a hard drive or on DVD`s or indeed on a network drive

When you then need to use the image you cannot choose what to restore from the image you restore the whole image

You can commence that procedure either from the recovery drive I mentioned in my post - on the usb pen and with the hard drive containing the image connected OR you can commence it from within windows - on the troubleshooting advanced menu - as explained on the link posted by my colleague Triple6 - on his post 7.

I thought you had used the 8.1 install from the Store and that 8 was the pre-installed system.

You should as mentioned by me and by Triple6 also create the installation media from the link in post 2.

11. nichos

nichos Thread Starter

Thanx,

I used the Inst.Media Tool, I clicked "open DVD burner" it said Error & ejected the new DVD+r 4.7GB, also tried 2 more.

This "DVD Drive (I:\) ESD -ISO" with 9 files in it appeared in win Eplorer. ???

Then I clicked "G:\Windows.iso" which opened my "G" partition with a lot of directories & 119 files.

What am I to do with all those? I am confused. .............nick

Please see attached.

Attached Files:

12. Macboatmaster

Firstly may I apologise
    I again forgot that you have the 8.1 install media already.
    Therefore you do not need the install media from the link.

I have no idea why the ISO would not burn to a dvd using the disk image burner

If you have the saved IMAGE FILE from file history then I suggest that you
    First, you need to get into Windows 8.1 Recovery Environment (WinRE) using Recovery Drive or bootable Windows 8.1 installation DVD. If Windows is running, you can invoke Settings charm (keyboard shortcut Windows Key+I), click Power and hold down Shift key while clicking Restart.

then go trouble shoot, advanced options, system image recovery
    and see if it finds the image you have on the hard drive

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1145414

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice