1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

win95 connect to win 98

Discussion in 'Networking' started by capthook, Dec 29, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. capthook

capthook Thread Starter

Can anyone help? I'm trying to network a Win98 to a win 95. I have installed 10/100 ethernet cards to both computers via a crossover cable. On the W95 computer when I rebooted I got an error message that says"the DHCP client was unable to obtain an IP network address from DHCP server. Do you want to see future DHCP messages-Y/N". If you don't click no, this message pops up every 5 minutes or so. When I go to "Entire network in either computer I get the message "unable to browse the network". Any suuggestions on where to start?

2. brianF

brianF

3. capthook

capthook Thread Starter

Thanks BrianF, I visited that site and it has plenty of instruction that I will try tommorow in my office. However what is "DHCP" and how do I get rid of it?

4. Toddles18

Toddles18

DHCP stands for Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol. Used in networks that don't use static IP addressing. To turn this off go into control panels, network. Double click the tcp/ip protocol with your nic info. Click the WINs tab. Unclick the use dhcp resolution. Click the IP address tab. Click specify and IP address. Enter your IP address and Subnet info. Only Do these things if your sure your network doesn't use dhcp. If your not sure your network uses DHCP then open the network control panel on a computer that doesn't have that error and check to see if obtain IP address automatically is checked. If it is check your cabling.

5. capthook

capthook Thread Starter

OK, on computer A (w98) I am finally able to open up network neighborhood. the only computer that shows up is computer A. On computer B (w95) I have followed the instructions from "firingsquad" down to the last detail. I still get "unable to browse network". The ethernet card is installed with no conflicts. I even checked to see if the little green light was on (it is). I don't even have a tab for "sharing" on my C drive or any folders or applications. I tried switching PCI slots and reinstalling the ethernet card a couple of times. Any suggestions? I am about ready to throw computer B in the dumpster.:confused:

6. brianF

brianF

have you install client for microsoft networks protocol's on both machines

File and print sharing enabled in network settings.

If in doubt, add netbeui to the installed protocols, you can just hit the add button, microsoft, netbeui

Can you ping one machine to the other

if you using standard ip add's of 192.168.100.1, etc with subnets of 255.255.255.0

you should be able to open the msdos prompt and type

ping 192.168.100xxx whatever the ip address of the other machine is

You should be able to ping back and forth between the two

7. capthook

capthook Thread Starter

Thanks BrianF, I'll give it a try. I just noticed that when I reboot machine B i get a message that says something like "vserver.vxd" is missing and windows or a windows application might not run. please reinstall the software, hit any key to continue. Might this have something to do with the problem. And if so how do I get my hands on this file? I don't have a W95 cd rom, all I have is this worthless restore CD that wipes everything off my machine.

8. brianF

brianF

9. capthook

capthook Thread Starter

BrianF, I got it working, Thanks for all the help!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63447

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice