Win95 networking to internet

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

tdh2112

HELP!

1. I am trying to network a Win95 laptop through a router to a cable modem. I can not connect to the internet because the only ways I can find in IE to connect to the internet is through the modem or through a proxy server. I just have a simple peer-peer network, no servers.

I have checked MS's knowledge base and found nothing that helps.

2. Another curious problem that I am having with this machine - I add Client for MS Networks and reboot, it prompts for a password, I enter it, and i can browse the network with no problem. If I go to Network properties the client is gone, and if I reboot, it does not prompt for a password and does not start the client. Every time I re-add the client, it loads all the files as if it never had the client before.

I do not know if I have OSR1 or 2 installed, but the Win95 disk that came with the machine says Windows 95 with USB Support.

3. I am also considering upgrading to Win98se, though I only have a full version Win98se disk, not an upgrade disk, will this be okay to use to upgrade a laptop? - I'm mainly wondering about PCMCIA services and power management?

thanks
-tim

As far as the connection issue, Open ie, go to tools, internet options, connections, lan, check the box that says auto detect.

Your tcp/ip adapter must be set to use dhcp rather than specify a ip address

tdh2112

That was the problem, when I clicked the connections tab, LAN settings was not there, instead there was an option that said "Connect through Proxy Server"

Though my first two issues have been worked out - I finally got the client to stay after a reboot, then I was able to connect with Netscape and download IE5.5.(did I commit some sort of sacrelig by doing that?) After that, I had the LAN settings option. I guess the version of IE that I was using was just too old.

But I would still like to know about the upgrade issue(#3).

-tim

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online