1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win95 Reformat??

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Julesgork, Jan 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Julesgork

Julesgork Thread Starter

I HAVE WINDOWS95, AND AFTER MY CHILD PLAYED WITH IT, IT WOULDNT LOAD...SO I ENDED UP DELETING IT, AND NOTHING WORKED AFTER I PUT THE WIN95 CD BACK IN. THEN I DELETED THE FORMAT TOTALLY. NOW, WHEN I TURN THE COMPUTER ON, IT SAYS:

C: REM LH C:\DOS\MSDEX/D: MSCD000
    C:LH C:\MSDEX/D: MSCD000
    FILE NOT FOUND
    C:
    C:

I HAVE TRIED REINSTALLING THIS CD, AND IT KEEPS SAYING FILE NOT FOUND. I CANNOT EVEN GET A D PROMPT, SAYS IT IS INVALID DRIVE, SO IS DRIVE E. WHEN I HIT B:, IT SAYS INSERT DISKETTE, AND PRESS ANY KEY WHEN READY. THEN I HIT A KEY, AND IT SAYS, NOT READY READING DRIVE B
    ABORT, RETRY, FAIL?????

PLEASE HELP!! I AM COMPLETELY LOST HERE!!!

2. brianF

brianF

windows 95 does not have support for cdrom support on the win95 startup disk. When you formatted you deleted your dos cdrom drivers.

If you have the install disk for the cdrom, just install the drivers from the a prompt.

You can make a win98 startup disk from any win98 computer, just go to start/settings/control panel/add remove programs/startup disk tab, put a floppy in the drive and hit create disk.
    If not, go to www.bootdisk.com and download a startup disk. Once the file is downloaded, place a floppy disk in the drive, run the downloaded file and it will create the startup disk on the floppy.

Leave the disk in the drive and reboot the machine. From the menu choose with cdrom support.

Once at the a prompt go to your cdrom drive(note, the drive letter will be one higher than normal, if it was D it will now be E, if it was E it will now be F. Type D: and press enter, or F whichever the case maybe.

Once at the Cdrom prompt, put the win95 cd in the drive and type setup.

3. Julesgork

Julesgork Thread Starter

I don't even have a desktop on my screen at all. I am not sure how to go about that.

4. brianF

brianF

Your posting from a working computer now, either make the disk on it or download one.

Any win98 pc will do to create the startup disk, then put the created disk in the other machine and start it up

5. Julesgork

Julesgork Thread Starter

will it automatically start?? or do i have to write something???

thanks for your help, brian

6. brianF

brianF

If you mean the machine your trying to install on, just put the startup disk in the drive and start it up, choose with cdrom support. Navigate to the cd drive, don't let the ram drive that the startup disk installs confuse you, that's what makes your cdrom drive letter move up one letter. Then with the cd in the drive just type setup.

For making the startup disk, just navigate to the location, put the floppy in the drive, and hit the create disk button.

7. Julesgork

Julesgork Thread Starter

ok, i have tried putting the bootable win98 disk in, and all it says is: not ready reading drive a
    abort, retry, fail???

I am totally lost

8. deanas

deanas

Try the startup disk in another computer
    and see if it works in it. If it does work,
    the floppy drive is in trouble. If it doesn't
    try to make another startup disk.

9. Julesgork

Julesgork Thread Starter

The disk is fine on this computer...

IS there anything else I could do???

10. brianF

brianF

Sounds like you need to enter bios setup and change your boot options to a first, then c(hdd). Apparently it is set to boot from hard drive first .

11. Julesgork

Julesgork Thread Starter

what is the order of boot options???

I know it has (floppy,hard,cd rom) and disabled.

If i knew the correct order, maybe it will work???

12. brianF

brianF

hmmm should be in this order

floppy,hard,cd rom

try removing the cdrom just use floppy, hard drive

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64209

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice