1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win98 and Win2K + WinXP P2P ????

Discussion in 'Networking' started by GyBear, Jun 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GyBear

GyBear Thread Starter

Hi there,

Situation is:

3 boxes: one WinXP Pro, one Win2K Pro, and one Win98 (not SE). No server.

Router: SMC, D-Link (2 models), Linksys, Belkin (only one at a time, though :D) to cable modem.

Problem: Win98 doesn't see any other comp than itself. WinXP or Win2K can't see Win98.

Std IP config on all NICs: Automatic IP, DHCP enabled, NetBIOS over TCP/IP, etc...

Same IP scheme (e.g. 192.168.x.x), same Subnet Mask, Gateway, and DNS IP addresses (auto).

Same workgroup name (No leading/trailing spaces)

All firewalls OFF.

Registry edit to fix the browsing delay from XP to Win9x: DONE

Same username and password (none) on each.

Internet access: YES for all 3 (ping, browser, etc...)

Ping the other computer's IP address:
    - YES, all 3 for WinXP & Win2K
    - YES, all 3 for Win98 but only with NetBEUI installed :eek:

Ping the other computers by name:
    - YES, WinXP & Win2K do see each other
    - NO, Win98 can't only ping itself

NET VIEW reports:
    - Win98: Win98 as the only server
    - WinXP & Win2K: WinXP & Win2K as available servers (no Win98)

No share accessible on Win98 from either Win2K or WinXP (using UNC with IP address).

Can't say, since Windoze 98 (not SE) doesn't accept UNC with IP.

According to experts on this forum (no names ;) ) Windoze 98 can be used with XP or 2K. What am I missing then?

TIA.

2. GyBear

GyBear Thread Starter

WT... Not even a hint? :eek:

Bump: Up she goes (y).

3. onlykims

onlykims

http://www.homenethelp.com/ics/ics-install-client98.asp That may help....but, 98 has no connection to the network at all at this point, from the sounds of it. That's where I would start. The 98 machine should be able to ping the other two machines and the gateway at least before that link could ever be of real assistance. The 98 machine will eventually(?) be able to see the other 2 computers, but you won't be able to access any of the info if they are formatted with NTFS (unless you can find the utility kicking around - I may have a copy, not sure).
    Kim

4. GyBear

GyBear Thread Starter

I followed Bob Cerelli's walkthrough.

W98 is fully connected to the network and can ping any IPs (not names) on the LAN (only with NetBEUI installed) and on the Internet.

I'm not using ICS, but a router.

As for NTFS being an issue, I don't know much about Windoze networking intrinsics, but I can hardly see how it could allow direct access to a foreign disk (without redirection through the local OS, that is).

5. onlykims

onlykims

The 98 machine will be able to see the other 2 machines in Network Neighborhood, but will not be able to access any of the files/folders on either machine if they are formatted NTFS simply because FAT cannot read NTFS, but your other 2 machines should be able to access/read any files/folders on the 98 machine. The same holds true for the 2K machine and the XP machine if they are formatted NTFS - if they are different versions of NTFS. XP runs version 5 and can see anything previous (FAT, NTFS4).
    Sorry if I caused confusion.....
    Kim

6. GyBear

GyBear Thread Starter

onlykims,

Sorry, I forgot to thank you for the link. I'm going to post on their forum. :D

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/236074

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice