1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win98 and WinXP pro Net thru same router?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by sparkone, Feb 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sparkone

sparkone Thread Starter

Im am trying to connect my old Windows 98 desktop to the internet through my Sky broadband router ..

I have fitted an Ethernet port to the old pc's PCI slot, have downloaded the driver EN1207D-TX which i was informed it required to use.]
    I tried to open an internet browser on it but page failed, also i think its powered by wannadoo as their logo is in the top right corner?

I have been experimenting with the settings trying all manner of differant variables but can't find the right settings.

Old OS: Windows 98 (not sure if FE or SE)
    Packard Bell club?

New Os: Windows XP Professional
    Packard Bell intel pentium D dual core

i have connected the 2 systems with a USB cable. Both systems are connected to my NetGear router on separate ports. I have tried all sorts.
    i have installed the ethernet card/port and downloaded the driver for it (carried across via MP3 player used as a memory stick)
    I carried over a network setup file from the network wizard on my xp to the 98 when i try to run it on the 98, after the restart i get -

Windows Networking
    Your network adapter Accton EN1207(-TX) PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter (0001) is not working properly. You may need to set it up again. For more information, see the Network Troubleshooter in Windows Help.

i tried the best i could to follow the 'trouble shooter' but its useless =/ (or i am w/e)
    is there any help you could offer (not sure what information you need but please ask and i will supply)

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type devmgmt.msc

Please respond to all the following steps.

1. Under Network adapters, please tell me all the devices listed.
    2. Are there any devices under Network adapters that have a red x displayed?
    3. Also, are there any devices anywhere in the Device Manager display with yellow ? or ! displayed?

Let's see this as well with the cable connected to a working router port.

Start, Run, COMMAND to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL >c:\IPCONFIG.TXT

Open c:\IPCONFIG.TXT in NOTEPAD, copy and paste all of it in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

3. sparkone

sparkone Thread Starter

i continued trying to work it out last night while my gf was online and lost my temper with it =/ i dismantled the other pc in my temper im just setting it up again now i will try what you have suggested and paste the information on here =) thankyou guys

4. sparkone

sparkone Thread Starter

OK i held the windows button and pressed R
    I typed in devmgmt.msc , but i just got a message pop up sayng...

devmgmt.msc
    Cannot find the file 'devmgmt.msc' (or one of its components). Make sure the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are available.

I have been doing some reading up on what i am trying to do...

All i am interested in is getting both PC's online at the same time
    I have an ethernet port on my xp system (pc1) but thats connected to my router i have fitted an ethernet port to the Win98 system (pc2) have connected that to another port on my router
    due to lack of extra ethernet ports i have ran a USB cable from pc1 to pc2 but it doesnt seem to be doing anything?
    i have discovered that the driver information i moved from pc1 to pc2 via mp3 player does not work despite it being the correct driver i was told to get i am currently trying to work out how to put the driver info onto CD-R as pc1 does not have a floppy drive =/

also do i need a hub? or will my router serve as one? there has to be a way for this to work am i just overcomplicating this? my head is frazzled

5. sparkone

sparkone Thread Starter

i tried the IPCONFIG...
    nothing happened when i typed the whole thing in but i tried just IPCONFIG and got...

C:WINDOWS\Desktop>IPCONFIG
    IP ConfigurationFatal Error

Cannot read IP Configuration

Would this be due to the driver problems im having? id assume yes
    brb have trying this 50millionth attempt at sorting the driver =P

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, the fact that IPCONFIG doesn't run is certainly a problem!

For Windows 98, you need to open the control panel and select System, then the Device Manager tab. I've been away from W98 for some time. :D

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!