1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WIN98: Auto disconnect gone, how to get it working again?

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by hazeleger, Jan 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hazeleger

hazeleger Thread Starter

On a Win98SE system of a friend the auto disconnect feature during DUN connection has been disabled somehow. All tries to revive it again (including the registry hack) failed so far..

Does anyone know an option (besides reinstalling IE/OE again) to revive this feature again?

TIA
    Dick
    (The Netherlands)

2. PeteBaines

PeteBaines Guest

go to control panel, modems, properties, connection tab

check disconnect a call if idle for X minutes.

X = minutes you wish to be idle before dissconect

3. hazeleger

hazeleger Thread Starter

Hi PeteBaines,

That has been tried too, unfortunately with no positive result. MS's Knowledge Base gives that option plus a registry hack as possible solutions to this problem, so I'm wondering what else could influence this feature. BTW: The system is running IE /OE 5.0.

Thanks for the reply, though.
    Regards
    Dick

4. PeteBaines

PeteBaines Guest

I am actully a novice with computers, but i knew about that!

sorry I can't help you anymore but if you stick around some1 will probbably know how to fix your problem!

p.s. Welcome to TSG

5. hazeleger

hazeleger Thread Starter

Hi PeteBaines,

Well, thanks for trying to help and you knowing some loose ends of the IE/OE environment makes you a less novice than you think you are!!!!

I am not a novice to computers, but I really got stuck here; most of all of course because the solutions that should work don't... So, I just hope that someone here knows the solution to this drama...

Thanks again,
    Regards
    Dick

6. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

When do they want to auto disconnect? After checking email?

7. Signature

Signature

<font face="comic sans ms" color="#577ac6">In IE - Tools > Internet Options > Connections tab > Settings button > Advanced button - there's an option to Disconnect if idle for __ minutes, and an option to Disconnect when connection may no longer be needed.</font>

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I know you've done these already, but just including the link anyway.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q153965

Have you done the registry hack though?

Go to start and run regedit

Navigate to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings

Highlight Internet Settings and right click on EnableAutodisconnect in the right hand pane and modify the value to: 01 00 00 00

If there is no entry there, right click on "Internet Settings" and select NEW>Binary Value

Name it EnableAutodisconnect then double click on it to enter the value.

9. hazeleger

hazeleger Thread Starter

Good Morning AcaCanday, Signature and Rollin' Rog;

Thanks for all your responses, which I will address below.

AcaCandy: The situation now is that we had to set Outlook Express so that the connection will be terminated after the mailcheck; however my friend wants to have it ask whether the connection should be terminated.

Signature: This has been tried too, alas no positive result.

Rollin' Rog: :) Indeed, that was the registry hack I got from the MS KB and the entry wasn't there, so I made one, type binary, and entered the proper value and rebooted the system... made the connection checked the mail and closed OE and it didn't ask whether the connection should be terminated or not.

So, down the bottom line, I am still stuck, although I tried everything that could be done... to my knowledge that is.

Thanks for all replies,
    Regards to all,
    Dick

10. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    OutlookExpress aside, if you connect to net with InternetExplorer and then close IE, does IE prompt you to disconnect?

BTW, how are you connecting to the net? Do you click on a shortcut to a Dialing Up Connection for your ISP to connect or do you just click on IE or OEX to get connected?

11. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

The problem may be that you have a shutdown problem. If you make a change to the registry and reboot. Go back in and see if that change is still there and it is not ( this sounds like your problem) there are several things to look at. You said you had performed that hack before and went in again. It wasn't there. Your changes are not being "remembered" after a boot.
    Bad RAM
    OR
    Fast Shutdown Have you disabled fast Shutdown?
    Msconfig>advanced>disable Fast Shutdown

Or if you use Win98 SE, applied the Shutdown Supplement?
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows98/downloads/contents/WURecommended/S_WUFeatured/Win98SE/Default.asp

OR
    Do you run Win98 SE or Win ME & Have a large Hard Drive with a fast Processor?
    IF so there's a patch which can help you. A Large disk cache takes time to clear and write to the Hard Drive at shutdown. A fast processor can shut the Computer down too fast----->>>> Not enough time to write the information held in the disk cache yielding a loss of information. A settings or registry change would qualify as lost data.

http://www.microsoft.com/Windows98/downloads/contents/WUCritical/q273017/Default.asp

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66391

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice