1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win98 Backup Disk

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by blake-roberts, Sep 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. blake-roberts

blake-roberts Thread Starter

Hi, all.

I just reinstalled Win98SE, firstly renaming the existing OS so that it was available in case I wanted to revert to it (which, in fact, I did, along the way, dodging about and renaming in DOS mode...)

Now I have finished the "re-instal", and have gone through the tedium of all the updates, etc... (which takes something like 4 times as long as the actual installation process), but an idea occurred to me.

With a cleaner version of Windows than I had before, all updated and working well, why not make a cd copy of the Windows folder as a backup, to be copied into the pc as an easy alternative to the installation process?

Any thoughts? Have I missed something? Any dreadful pitfalls?

Regards

kb-r

2. Katzy

Katzy

It's called "Norton Ghost".

Or "Drive Imager".

I don't know about when I had 98SE, but my current Windoze directory would need rather more than a single CD.

Interesting fact: If you use Windows 95/98/98SE, it's recommended that you format and install every six months...

Curious fact: I live in SE England, too!

3. kodi

kodi

Why not just burn a CD of the updates as I have and then all you need to do is install them from the CD instead of down loading and installing.
    I used Firefox to down load as it gave me the option to save to my desktop and then I burnt them to CD

4. blake-roberts

Hi.
    Thanks for your interest.
    Yep - about 875Mb - t'would split twixt 2 cds.
    Things like "Ghost" seem a bit vague (in sales info) about whether one is saving the entire drive or selected bits. (Tho' one could selectively restore, I assume...) But my idea costs nowt!

One of the "updates" is IE6, followed by IE6 sp1 - in other words, big things. (Maybe the sp1 makes IE6 itself unnecessary as an update - I don't know, but if so why did the MS update site give them both to me, in turn?)
    On the matter of saving updates (to cd or elsewhere) - I started saving all updates in a special folder, for future reference and use, but like all good intentions...

"Curious fact: I live in SE England, too!"
    I guess a lot of us do; I'm in Woking (-ish).

care

kb-r

5. Katzy

Katzy

Not quite as South as that. I'm in "Sunny"??? Southend!

EEK!

I use a program called "BigFix" that updates and saves them, too. Useful, that.

I don't bother updating IE, coz I never use the old dinosaur!

I think your backup idea has some flaws, thinking about it.

If you have to reinstall W98, then try to simply copy everything from a CD back, you won't be able to overwrite the files that are in use by the system. Something like Ghost can write independently of the OS, I believe.

When I do a system backup, I simply ghost my entire 60gig drive onto the other one.

6. blake-roberts

OK.

Sarfend... Hmmm... "EEK" could be appropriate.

Anyway, the idea was, if required, to copy the "backup" to a folder called, say "NewWin", then go into DOS and do a rename of the existing, to OldWin, then rename NewWin to Windows....

I shall investigate "Ghost" and "Bigfix" - but, if one restores a "backup" that has been kept up to date, then surely one is restoring all the accumulated rubbish and corruption that one seeks to avoid!

Regards
    kb-r

7. grampy

grampy

Can recommend Norton Ghost,I use it regularly to image C: to a logical D: and then burn a CD of the ghost image.Ghost will compress the image to about half if asked,my C; is about 550 MB the image about 250MB so there's no problem burning a CD.

8. Katzy

Katzy

I think that the idea is to get your system as you want it, then back it up.

A lot of the crudd is probably an improvement on anything M$oft put there, after all!

9. blake-roberts

Thanks for the input. It seems that the options are legion, including the Windows built-in Backup facility (which I've never played with - I have a batch file that copies all my docs and things to a cd when I want).

One thing I have done, now, is zipped the whole Windows folder and I can store that conveniently - it's about 450Mb. Next, I intend unzipping it to see if the contents will work without a hitch on the pc as it stands.

Regards
    kb-r

10. Katzy

Katzy

It won't overwrite items that are "In use", then, either.

For me, personally, I've found that the easiest, safest, most reliable way to back up is to have two hard drives and simply have one as a ghost of the other. Whole lot quicker than burning CD's, too.

Not 100% fail-safe, but no backup method is, sadly.

11. blake-roberts

Hi, again.
    The answer (as often) was quite simple. The Win98 Backup facility has allowed me to make a compressed backup of my Windows folder on a CD-RW.

What I plan to do now, is restore that to a folder called (say) "WinBak", then, in DOS, rename the Windows folder and rename the WinBak to "Windows" - and see if it works.

If it does - I don't have to reinstall next time things get all clobbered up.

I shall report progress.

kb-r

12. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

If your OS, programs and data files are all on the same partition, the problem with imaging software is that if you ever have to restore it, any data that is newer will be erased.

One solution is to keep just the OS on it's own partition and make an image of just that partition. This was in case of a restore, just the OS is restored.
    Keep all your applications and data in a separate partition.

Another solution, is to have a second hard drive and just XCOPY one to the other. Booting to safe mode first is a good idea as well. Switches I like to use are /s /y /c /d.

The first time around it takes a while. But with the /d switch on subsequent backups, only new or changed files get copied.

13. Katzy

Katzy

If that works, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

The weak part of what you're doing, I suspect, will be the registry.

14. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

You really should give it a try before condemming it.

Moved many a Win98 computer completely from one hard drive to a large one over the years using this method. You might want to include a few more switches of you want to do this - XCOPY C:\ D:\ /S /E /H /C /K /R as well as format the new drive with the /s command if you want the new drive to boot, but for just data backups it works fine.

15. Katzy

Katzy

Data backups I can believe. Actually backing the system, in this way, would be problematic, I would think.

Brings me back to my trusty A1200 Amiga. You really COULD back up the system, just by copying it...

Those were the days!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/273515

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice