win98 backup

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

conlo

If I get one of those small hard drives that plug into the back of your pc into a USB port, can you give me step by step instructions on how to back up my hard drive ??

It is unlikely that a small usb drive is going to have enough room to backup your entire hard drive.

So the next question is what do you want to back up and where is it located? There is no generally complete answer for this. Common items can be My Documents, E-Mail, Photos, Favorites. And then there are program files like QuickBooks that can keep their data files in the actual program directory. But without knowing specifics for where everything is located, it is difficult to give exact instructions for how to back them up.

One thing I like to do for customers is make sure everything is located somewhere in the My Documents folder. Then you just have to back up that folder (and all subfolders).

As such you don’t have to backup the entire hard disk, you need to backup only the most common application data types which have been used regularly. As a long term process you can even subscribe to some reputed backup services, wherein their applications are designed to backup automatically with what ever data you set as a backup set.

When it comes to financial products like Quicken there are dedicated services like this online backup for Quicken and QuickBooks. It backs up your data in real time whenever a change is updated, as the importance of this data types are so critical.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online