1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win98 doesn't function without an internet connection

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by elctrcblu002, Jan 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. elctrcblu002

elctrcblu002 Thread Starter

Ever since I had to reinstall USB hub drivers (tried to install a cordless mouse)I've been having trouble with not just IE but Win98 itself. I have a connection using a linksys wireless adapter. I definitely have a connection but internet explorer (or even netscape)doesn't recognize it. I've tried changing ALL the network settings I could in network neighborhood and internet options and reinstalling/repairing IE but had no luck.

I can only access the internet using the RealOne player's media browser and then everything else starts working. If I don't open Real One first thing when I get to the desktop upon startup I can't do anything else without explorer locking up. No using the start menu, opening folders, files, nothing. The desktop also turns white, but there's no text for the active desktop. It's like it MUST be connected to the net for it to work properly. Any ideas? I went in the registry and even imported some from another computer with windows 98 but it didn't do anything. I also do not have a Win98 reinstall cd so I can't do that. Thanks for any help.

2. dr20

dr20

How long has it been since you started having trouble? If you haven't booted up at least five times you could try the SCANREG /RESTORE command. Go to the Start button and reboot in DOS mode. At the C:\Windows prompt type:

SCANREG /RESTORE

Look for a date when it last worked properly.

Short of that your best bet would probably be a complete format and reinstall unless someone else has any other ideas.

3. walkeriam

walkeriam

It could be the mouse driver (or Hub Drivers) you tried is the wrong one. Try starting in SAFE MODE and un-installing that driver or the mouse from within device manager.

4. walkeriam

walkeriam

Did you get this fixed and if so How? Encase someone else has the same problem they can look it up in the archives.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/431893

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice