1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win98 .EXE downloads impossible

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Ravenquille, Jan 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ravenquille

Ravenquille Thread Starter

Encountered a weird problem, or set of problems on one of my systems: Quicktime was apparently associating itself to .exe files.
    Virus scans show no infections. Malware and Spyware is present however.
    Removed Quicktime, and did following Registry deletion:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Plugins and the subkey: Extensions.

This has made no change, still cannot download. exe files. Any ideas on workarounds, other than Windows reload, or Reformat?

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

3. Ravenquille

Ravenquille Thread Starter

Sorry for the 'typo' ( Extension with an S ).
    Yes, I am sure I deleted the correct entry.

When attempting to download any .exe files I have tested with, I have tried both the usual "Save", and "Open" from the "what do you want to do....screen ( normally going to Desktop ). Neither option works.
    I have also tried a "Save As" to floppy on an .exe in my system, as a test, then tried to download from that floppy into my husband's system. Doesn't work.
    What seems odd is that the Virus Program's Autoupdate sig files come in and install fine.

Have not tried Zip Files on that system. Will run a test tomorrow.

Thanks for the SpyBot link. I will check that out. I have AD-Aware in one of my systems, but, of course, cannot download it into my husband's.

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Just for the record, what exactly happens during the download attempt?

Have any download managers previously been installed on the system?

If you End-Task everything (ctrl alt del to bring up the Task Manager) except Explorer, systray, rnaapp and the browser window, does it make a difference?

Open won't save the file, just the normal left click > save and right click "save target as"; this last usually is a workaround for the problem.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/111543

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice