1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win98 hanging- is cal reminder shortcut the prob?

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by colin72, Sep 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. colin72

colin72 Thread Starter

Windows 98SE
    Pentium 3, 128 MB RAM

My computer is hanging during startup. I don't know if this has anything to do with it but a fuse blew at my house and so the computer shut down. The problem with startup happened right after the fuse blew and I tried starting the computer.

I am able to start in safe mode, ran scandisk and have tried everything suggested on Microsoft's web site. One of the things I tried was disabling startup items in the Sys Config Utility. I'm not sure if this has any significance, but "cal reminder shortcut" appears twice on the list (I realize it is the calendar scheduler but I don't think it should be there twice). One of them (Cal Reminder Shortcut) will not "uncheck". When I uncheck it and restart, I go back to find it is checked again. Does this have something to do with my computer hanging?

I've also run AVG Anti-Virus, Swat It, SpyBot and Ad-aware. The only problem is that I can not update them because I can not connect to the internet. I get a message that my modem can't be detected. I'm a NOVICE at this stuff so I don't know if that is typical while in safe mode or not.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

2. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

Where are you unchecking i.e. what program. Run sysedit and see if you can find it in there and delete the line(s)

3. colin72

colin72 Thread Starter

I was using the System Configuration Utility>Startup to uncheck things in startup.

I ran Sysedit but I'm a novice so I don't know if I'm missing anything but I don't see anything like you mentioned. The windows that Sysedit opened were:
    WIN.INI
    PROTOCOL.INI
    SYSTEM.INI
    CONFIG.SYS
    AUTOEXEC.BAT

4. walkeriam

walkeriam

Your MODEM will not work in SAFE MODE. The reason Cal-Reminder keeps checking itself is you must have it set to startup in your STARTUP folder and will need to delete it from there, then un-check it in SYS. Conifg Utility. To delete it from your STARTUP folder, Right click START, click OPEN, then PROGRAMS and then STARTUP. Right click and delete it from there. I don't think this has anything to do with your startup problem however.
    Does the computer stop and won't open to WINDOWS on restart or is there just a long delay before Windows opens?

5. colin72

colin72 Thread Starter

walkeriam: thanks

You were right about deleting the Cal-reminder. I was able to delete it but as you suggested, it wasn't the problem.

The computer won't open to windows on restart. It is stuck on the MS Windows 98 splash screen.

6. walkeriam

walkeriam

Hi Colin72,
    Sorry it's taking so long to reply but I'm having a busy time right now.
    Re-start the computer in SAFE MODE and go to the SYSTEM CONFIGURATION UTILITY (msconfig) again. Select SELECTIVE STARTUP and un-check LOAD STARTUP GROUP ITEMS. I am using Windows ME right now and am not sure if Windows 98 is the same or not. If you can also un-check AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS there do it also. Then click APPLY, OK and restart your computer to see if it will start in normal mode.
    Let us know if that works and we can help you re-configure your start-up group.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/272128

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice