1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WIN98 has a mid of it's own

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by h2o, Sep 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. h2o

h2o Thread Starter

:confused: When I boot up my computer it wants to log onto the internet. I can't cancel without it returning again and again and again. It will keep stacking up requests to go on line.

I installed Norton Anti-Virus last week. I doesn't find a virus.
    I did notice a wierd program running when I do WinConfig -- OAJIZWS.EXE IN WINDOWS/SYSTEM

this started Tuesday.

2. norton850

norton850

I don't know what OAJIZWS is but it sounds like some program is setup to connect to the internet. It might be something legitimate that you have installed or spyware or malware. Check your startup files to see if there is anything set to run at startup that might being doing it. Also downloading and running Adaware and Spybot Search and Destroy (obtainable at various sites including majorgeeks.com and others).

3. smeegle

smeegle

Try this: go to your Internet Browser and click on tools, then click on internet options, click connections and check to see if "Never Dial A Connection" is engaged. It probably won't be so click it, apply it, and then click ok. I have the same recurring problem with MSN. Keep us posted.

4. h2o

h2o Thread Starter

I tried your suggestions and had mixed results (temperary fix). Checking the "never dial connection" takes out my dial up connection totally.

I've found that an "Instant Messanger" that my son has loaded on my computer had a swith set to "log on when windows starts". I've turned off that switch and it works better.

My computer still asked to connect when I boot up.
    If I connect, open that @#$!#$ instant messanger then close it all is well.

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    H2O:

Click the link below and read the article, "MSCONFIG - Reduce The Startup Load". Other than ScanRegistry, SystemTray, and antivirus program entries, very little else needs to be loading during startup and running in the background.

I highly suggest that you download and install Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.3 and Ad-Aware SE Personal 1.04. Click the link below and read the article, "Spyware, What It Is And How To Get Of it". It'll provide you with links to download these utilities from, and the instructions for using them.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/271983

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice