Win98 Help Doesn't Bring Up Anything

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Hulk701

Banned
Hey Gang,

I'm trying to bring up the Win98 Help function by going to Start>Help.

My cursor hourglass twirls around for about 10 seconds and then stops entirely. I've tried this several times without joy.

I know i can reinstall Win98 to see if I can solve this problem but is there any easier way? I don't want to reinstall all the win98 updates and patches as well.

Thanks,
HULK!

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
If you reinstall Windows 98/98SE over itself, you won't lose your programs and you won't have to reinstall all the Windows updates. There may be a few Windows updates that you'll have to install, but you can verify that by running a scan at the site after the reinstall process is done.

What do you plan to do a Windows reinstall with? What kind of CD(s) do you have?

The built-in Windows help function cannot give you anywhere as much help as these forums, so make use of them.

What speed is the processor and how much RAM is installed in that computer?

Click Start - Run, type in MSCONFIG, then click OK - Startup(tab). How many listings in there are checked?

----------------------------------------------------------------

Hulk701

Banned
flavallee said:
If you reinstall Windows 98/98SE over itself, you won't lose your programs and you won't have to reinstall all the Windows updates. There may be a few Windows updates that you'll have to install, but you can verify that by running a scan at the site after the reinstall process is done.

What do you plan to do a Windows reinstall with? What kind of CD(s) do you have?

Win98SE Full Edition

The built-in Windows help function cannot give you anywhere as much help as these forums, so make use of them.

What speed is the processor and how much RAM is installed in that computer?

My cpu is AMD 2400XP+

Click Start - Run, type in MSCONFIG, then click OK - Startup(tab). How many listings in there are checked?

3 items are checked, Norton Antivirus, Scheduling Agent and scanreg.

Thanks Flavalee. (y)

Hulk701

Banned
BTW, my original problem was if there was a way to search Internet Explorer favorites. I see there is a search box when I go to Start>Favorites but this seems only to search for things like maps, real estate, classifieds etc.

I have over 1700 favorite places.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
ScanRegistry
SystemTray
Norton

should be checked and enabled.

mstask.exe(SchedulingAgent)

is not needed and can be unchecked and disabled.

The CPU speed is more than adequate for Windows 98SE. Hopefully, you have at least 256 MB of RAM to go with it.

Hulk701

Banned
flavallee said:
ScanRegistry
SystemTray
Norton

should be checked and enabled.

mstask.exe(SchedulingAgent)

is not needed and can be unchecked and disabled.

The CPU speed is more than adequate for Windows 98SE. Hopefully, you have at least 256 MB of RAM to go with it.

Thanks again Flavalee,

BTW, if I disable mstask.exe daily virus scan doesn't show up. It shows up in Noton as being unscheduled. Are you sure I can disable task scheduler?

Also, enabling systray enabled my help menu.:D

HULK?

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Shucks, darn. I'm glad to hear that you got your help menu working. :D

Most people don't run scheduled tasks with their computer, so mstask.exe isn't needed. Since you're setting your antivirus program to run a scan at a certain time every day, that's a different story. ;)

Hulk701

Banned
flavallee said:
Shucks, darn. I'm glad to hear that you got your help menu working. :D

Most people don't run scheduled tasks with their computer, so mstask.exe isn't needed. Since you're setting your antivirus program to run a scan at a certain time every day, that's a different story. ;)
:D

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online