1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win98 IE problem

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by n00bi3, Apr 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. n00bi3

n00bi3 Thread Starter

Hello all,

My mom can open IE, but cannot surf the web or get any pages to display on her comp at home...
    I think she may have some Spyware/ad-aware issues...
    If I want to un-install IE then re-install it, where do I re-install the full IE from?
    I want to do that, then run some Spyblaster and adaware programs to move that junk...
    She's running an old verson of MacFee Anti-Virus and it isn't detecting/seeing any virus, but then again, it's out dated...

Thanks for the help!

2. putasolution

putasolution

You could try running the Internet Explorer Repair Tool

Go to start | Run
    type or copy the following

For Internet Explorer 5

rundll32 setupwbv.dll,IE5Maintenance "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Setup\SETUP.EXE" /g "C:\WINDOWS\IE Uninstall Log.Txt"

For Internet Explorer 6

rundll32 setupwbv.dll,IE6Maintenance "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Setup\SETUP.EXE" /g "C:\WINDOWS\IE Uninstall Log.Txt"

Note that these command are case sensitive, so use lower case and upper case exactly as above.

Follow the wizard that comes up

3. n00bi3

n00bi3 Thread Starter

Thanks, I'll try that!

Note: I also forgot to mention it's Dial-up if that makes a difference. (I doubt)

4. putasolution

putasolution

It may well be worth checking for spyware, always a good precuationary measure anyway

First of all download the following programmes: Spybot & Adaware

Update both of them first, then run both programmes and have them fix anything they find.

When you have run and fixed everything with Spybot Search and Destroy and AdAware, please reboot before scanning, as not everything can be removed when Windows is running

Go to this page, and download 'Hijack This!'.

Unzip it, launch Hijack This, then press Scan, and press Save Log

This will generate a text file that will list all running processes, all applications that are loaded automatically when you start Windows, and more.

open that file
    Go to Edit | Select all
    Now click Edit | copy to copy it

Do not change anything just yet
    Come back to the forum, Right Click and paste its contents here

Someone will come along and have a look at it, and advise you what still needs to be removed.

5. n00bi3

n00bi3 Thread Starter

ok, will do...

But if at first those IE repair tools don't work, I wont be able to access the Internet...
    If they don't work and I un-install and then want to re-install IE where do I DL the Full Version from?

6. putasolution

putasolution

Download the programs to floppy or cd first

You can re-install IE5 from the Windows CD rom though I don't hink it will come to that ;)

7. n00bi3

n00bi3 Thread Starter

lol, well I don't have the Windows CD anyway!
    So if worst case scenario, I won't be able to re-install it!?!?!?

8. putasolution

putasolution

You may be able to find a magazine with a front cover disk with it on. The file itself may well be too big to download by dialup

9. n00bi3

n00bi3 Thread Starter

Ok for some reason my moms comp doesnt have winzip so I can't unzip those files from the floppy. (adaware and hijackthis)
    Also here is the error it's giving me.
    IEExplorer caused an invalid page fault in module SHDOCVW.DLL

also at the top of IE after this error occurs, in the blue header bar it says.
    res://C:\windows\system\shdoclc.dll/dnsekror.htm

any ideas?

edit: oh yeah, when tried to run the Internet repairt tool it didn't give me access to select the repair tool.

Thanks,

10. Filewasp

Filewasp

You can download a free version of WinZip at: www.winzip.com Also I don't see what windows app you are running. My Win98SE has the repair tool in add/remove. Just highlight it and click remove, there should be an option to remove. IE is a part of the Windows operation system and should not be removed. You can back up toan older version, upgrade, or run the repair. Check that out and see if that helps. Good Luck.

11. putasolution

putasolution

is an almost guaranteed spyware problem

12. n00bi3

n00bi3 Thread Starter

I can't access the web to get winzip...
    If I unzip those programs on to a floppy insted of leaving them zipped on the floppy will I be able to access them then?
    I can't run the repair, it just gives me the option to add I think...
    When I run it it comes up and gives me three options:
    Add
    Internet repair tool
    not sure...lol

I don't remember all of the specifics but I could only select the first option.

Thanks,

13. n00bi3

n00bi3 Thread Starter

How can I get Adaware and Spyblaster on that machine?
    I dl'ed them to a floppy but they are zipped, and I can't unzip them because the machine doesn't have winzip on it.

Thanks,

14. Filewasp

Filewasp

I was thinking you could do the same thing with the winzip install program. Put it on a floppythen put the floppy in and install winzip on the infected machine. Install it there. Then you will be possibly able to move adaware and Spybot onto the machine and unzip them and run them. Make sense?

15. Filewasp

Filewasp

How did you access the web to get the other programs on floppy?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/217225

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice