1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

win98 loading errors

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by bball_1523, Dec 19, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bball_1523

bball_1523 Thread Starter

For some reason, maybe it's something ive downloaded...whenever after a while i shutdown my computer a few times after a few times of use, the computer hangs when it loads...i cant ctrl-alt-del, nor press the off button, it just hangs, the only thing i can do it unplug the power cord. Then it restarts into safe mode, and i restart it and it comes to 16 colors mode, then it prompts me to change my settings, so i change my settings to 16 bit because it wont show 32 bit, and it restarts, then it lets me change my settings back to normal(32 bit. 1024/768 pixels)...this happens often everyday almost, when i shut down or use my computer more than once....Does anybody have a solution to this problem, thanks

2. Nick Scott

Nick Scott

You haven't given any details of your system, but from the symptoms of the problem as you describe it I would suggest that the first place to look should be your display drivers and DirectX.

Check to see what version of the drivers you have loaded for your graphic card and then visit the manufacturers website to see if there is an updated or newer version for the OS that you are running.

3. beach51

beach51

Hi bball_1523,There can be alot of things that can cause that to happen.When was the last time you ran avirus scan?You can run one here for free.

http://www.housecall.antivirus.com

There could also be some spyware on your computer that can cause you alot of problems. You should download this free program called Ad-aware5.6.It scans your computer for spyware componnets,and will remove most of them but not all.Some have to be removed throu msconfig and add and remove programs.After you d/l Ad-aware,download the ref-file(signature),install it to to lavasoft folder.Now run the scan,make sure all the boxs in the left pane are checked.

Now before you do all that,post your startup page back here,so we can check for some of the real nasty ones that Ad-Aware will nor remove.Go to Start>Run>type in msinfo32>click ok.Click on the + sign next to software environment>click on startup programs>click edit,select all>click edit copy,and paste the page back here.

Ad-Aware

http://www.lavasoftusa.net

4. bball_1523

here's 5 pics of my startups, what do i do with each one of them and what are they for?

Attached Files:

5. bball_1523

Attached Files:

6. bball_1523

Attached Files:

7. bball_1523

Attached Files:

8. bball_1523

Attached Files:

9. beach51

beach51

Hi bball,you have some real nasty spyware programs on your computer.Go to Msconfig (the startup page)take the check marks next to the following out

Timesink
    Ezula main
    savenow
    Web hancer

After you remove the check marks click apply then ok.re-boot the computer.Now go to the control panel and click on add and remove programs.Remove them from there also,if you find them there.Re-boot the computer after each one you find and remove.

Now run Ad-aware,if you have it download.

Heres a good site to check what spyware is and how it got on your computer.

www.cexx.org

Lets us know how you make out.

10. bball_1523

about adaware: I got the prog, i did a scan and here's what I got out of it on textpad...How do i delete the spam programs like savenow, webhancer...? What does the textpad i got out of adaware talking about and what are the harmful files, programs i need to remove...I use the program Morpheus, will any removal of the spyware files corrupt morpheus?

Attached Files:

11. bball_1523

One thing important which i first wanted to solve before the spyware ads was whenever i sometimes shut down windows and reload it(this happens like 75% of the time i use my computer or something)...i load the comp, it stalls at black screen with a tiny white dos menu bar at the top-left corner of the screen blinking. I try to press ctrl-alt-del but it doesnt work and i also try to press the off button on my computer and that also doesnt work. All i can do is unplug the computer and plug it back in, then after that it takes me to 16 color mode, and it makes me restart my computer at 16 bit mode, then i change it to 32 bit mode (my normal mode). Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

12. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Best to take things a step at a time and first remove the spy and foist ware. Then if you continue to have restart problems, address that.

All the listed spy and foistware should first be removed through Add/Remove programs to the extent that they are listed there. Reboot after each removal. Ezula may be shown as Toptext:

http://www.cexx.org/toptext.htm

Once you have removed them, run Ad-Aware again, select memory, deep registry scans and all drives on which you have installed programs. Check all the individual entries to be removed and click "make backup". Then Finish. Once it completes, reboot and run it again to ensure complete removal.

I hope the "hangup" problem you are having doesn't complicate the removal. You might be best off doing it in safe mode.

But if you do get a hang, don't pull the plug, instead press the tower button down for more than 5 seconds.

13. bball_1523

My computer is a Gateway GP6-450 450 mhz, 128 ram, vx700 monitor .26 dot-pitch, i got win 98(1st version), using 1024 by 768 viewing on 32-bit nvidia card, I got those programs called morpheus, winmx, agsatellite, netscape, aolim, icq, yahoo messeger, hotmail messenger...stuff like that.

14. beach51

beach51

Hi bball,removeing the spyware,wont effect Morpheus,but it will effect AG.As far as i know morpheus is still spyware free,but AG wont run when you remove the spyware.Follow Rog's advice for removeal.

15. bball_1523

I used ad-aware and deleted those spyware apps, and my computer still hangs at random startups when i load my computer. I rescanned with adaware(look at adawarelist2.txt I uploaded). Is there any solution to my computer still?? I dont know what i did that made my computer go crazy lol, if there's a solution can yall pls tell me, thanks

Attached Files:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62261

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice