1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win98 misidentifying CD-RW?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cdss, Sep 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cdss

cdss Thread Starter

I recently installed a SCSI photoscanner (HP photosmart) on a home machine running windows 98SE. Scanner works fine. But after that install, the CD-burn sofware for the Sony CRX225A wouldn't work. It claimed no drive - and then an ASPI problem - then it seems to look at the scsi interface for some reason. Turns out if I "fix" the ASPI, the scanner won't function.

So I kicked around some more and noticed that when Windows 98 'found" the hardware when it was originally installed, it saw it as a CRX225E. Thinking that might be an issue I went looking for a proper driver: Sony claims one isn't needed and that win98SE can provide the correct driver.

I have reinstalled both the HP photosmart and the CD-RW (as a 225E since that's the only driver win98 seems willing to recognize!) - and checked both Sony and HP websites for driver updates: none available. With the scanner working, the CD drive is perfectly accessible for reading - it seems to be just the Recorder Gold 5 that doesn't work.

1. Anyone else had this type of misidentification problem?
    2. Any thoughts on why this scsi and IDE drive seem unable to co-exist?
    3. Or is it just Recorder Gold that is the problem?

Thanks

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

If you can, you might try another burning program.

3. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Give this UNOFFICIAL Windows98 Second Edition Service Pack 1.6 a try.. It may help.
    http://exuberant.ms11.net/98sesp.html

It contains a few fixes for the flaky ASPI layer in win98.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/268956

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice