1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

win98 misreading cpu speed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by yodaman001, Sep 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. yodaman001

yodaman001 Thread Starter

OK...this is how the story goes (forgive me if I can't give all the details...I can't read chinese) I'm working at a company that only uses Chinese win98. We just recently networked 4 comps together: 3 chinese ones and one dell.

The dell is having the problem. In the BIOS the processor reads as a 650MHz Pentium III processor but when I get into windows it reads as a Pentium II. I downloaded that "aida32" which, I learned from another thread, would clock the speed of my computer. It's reading the CPU as a Pentium III 650 as well...so windows has the problem.

After hooking up the computers to the network, the computer got really, really, really slow. I think doing a clean reinstall wouldn't be the best solution right now. Can you guys help?

lo

2. GwizJoe

GwizJoe

Windows 98 typically reads SEC PIII processors as a PII,which were all SEC Cartridges.
    When Windows 98 was in developement,they were working closely with Intel and were just as convinced that SEC CPU cartridges would completely replace the previous 370 sets.Of course,they learned it's physical limitations after trying to develope a chip over the SEC PIII 866,when they returned to the 370 design completely.By then,MicroSoft was more concerned with it's new OS,Windows 2000,and it's pseudo-secret project 'Whistler',which we now know as XP.
    Intel was not too thrilled with backtracking in it's R&D department,so the new P4 chips were quickly revealed with a 423 set,a minimal improvement over the 370.

Don't worry about it,worry more about why your network slowed down a good working computer...
    What happens if you break the connection to the network? Does it return to it's previous normal pace?

3. yodaman001

I disconnected the ethernet wire first and it was still slow. Then I disconnected the card and it was still slow. I think after I put the card back in, it got even slower. It takes about 3 or 4 mins to get into windows.

Oh...the network connection is very fast. The dell can access other computers faster than it can access itself but I don't think this is a harddrive problem. I think explorer just takes a long time to load. The computer is about 2yrs old at most.

4. GwizJoe

GwizJoe

Yes,I could believe that your network pipeline seems faster than the unit itself.Shouldn't be a problem there....

Just as common questions go...,did you delete the network card from the device manager after you removed it? When you reinstalled it,did it reinstall the drivers,etc.?
    The picture I get here,is that this problem started after you initially installed the ethernet card...,correct? Or,did it start after you connected it to your network?

It sounds like something is trying to load with windows,but is unable to,or it is so demanding that it is prioritizing the system.I'd be looking at what all applications are loading along with Windows.Something might be running full-tilt right from the boot.

Are you familiar with reviewing and editing the system configuration in w98?

5. yodaman001

Kinda sorta.

There isn't anything odd running in the background from what I can tell. I checked it with "hijackthis" and everything seems to be in order. I'll try deleting the network driver. Forgot to do that last time.

6. GwizJoe

GwizJoe

Not everyone thinks ahead to include certain monitoring applications provided by Windows when they set up their OS.If you included 'System Monitor' and 'Resource Meter' for your tool box,you should be able to easily see which application is utilizing the biggest chunk of your processor and RAM by a simple process of elimination.
    This may be a slow and ardous method,requiring diligence and patience.But,it is the only way I know of.If someone else has a faster,better method...,by all means...
    ok...
    This is what I'd do...
    With the unit booted as you want it to(in this current slow state),I'd do the standard single stroke 'Ctrl+Alt+Delete' command to check my current 'running task' list.I'd write the list down and compare them to the list in 'Startup' (from the System Configuration utility).
    NOTE:To find this in w98:
    Start>Programs>Accessories>Sytem Tools>System Information>Tools>System Configuration Utility

NOTE: Personally,I use a selective startup and I edit my 'Startup' list with just about every new application I install.I really hate programs that just load and run from a boot,even background junk.I think I'm smart enough to know what programs I want,or need to run and when.On a fresh reboot,my 'running task' list has only 4 items on it,the result of only about 8-10 items checked in my System Configuration 'Startup' list.It boots VERY quickly and I have a maximum amount of resources available every time(about 94-96%).

1.From a fresh reboot,start the 'System Monitor' and 'Resource Meter'...(with your system currently running the way it is,this may take a moment)
    NOTE:Considering the way your system is now,I would not be surprised to see the processor running at 100%,with very low resources available.
    2.Looking at your current 'Running task' list,highlight the tasks in question and hit the "End Task" button on the running task GUI.
    NOTE:the only REQUIRED tasks that w98 actually needs to operate are;Explorer and Systray,don't stop these or you will have to reboot and start over.And of course,don't stop the system monitor and resource meter...,if you do,you can always restart them.
    NOTE:some of the running tasks will not want to stop easily,highlight them again and press the 'End Task' button again.If you get a popup stating it is busy doing something,hit the "End Task Now" on the popup GUI.
    ***If you get BlueScreen errors,or the system freezes,make a checkmark next to that application on the list you wrote down,and reboot.Then go to the System Configuration Utility 'Start Up' list and locate that application...,uncheck it,and reboot.That SHOULD remove that item from the "running task" list after your reboot.Don't worry,you can always go back in and re-check that item to get it back at reboot,if you need/want it.

3.With the ending of each task,give the system a moment to recover and watch the the 'System Monitor' and 'Resource Meter' for activity(or lack of).When you have ended the running of the culprit that is hogging up the system,you'll likely see a MAJOR change in activity.The processor usage should drop and your resources jump up.The system should almost immediately start responding much like it's prior self.

Once you have determined which application is the "Hog",you can start looking at how that application may need to be configured(or eliminated),and you will have some decisions to make.
    I can't tell you how you "should" have your system configured,that is your decision.But,at least you should now know what you need to be looking at...

(All of this stuff should probably be in the Software/OS forum,but I don't mind answering it here...,cause this is just my thoughts on this and I don't really think it is a Hardware matter.)

I hope that helps...,I'll continue watching this thread for more...

L8R,
    GwizJoe

7. yodaman001

Ok...I uninstalled the network card and the computer ran just as slow. Then I did as you suggested and checked what was running on my computer background. I don't have the system monitor or the resource meter so I used another program(aida32) to see what was running on my computer. The Chinese version of win98 doesn't have much on it.

I found out that the the computer was using 97% of the ram but when I closed all the programs in Task Manager, I was only down to 92%. I have 64 MB of memory and I know win98 doesn't use close to that amount.

I ran a few virus checkers and nothing showed up. Are there any other kinds of programs that will allow me to see all the programs that are running on my computer?

8. yodaman001

are there any freeware or shareware programs that i can use to see the programs that are running on my computer?

9. GwizJoe

GwizJoe

You are running Windows,right?
    Even the Chinese version should do this: You bring up the "running programs" list by hitting Ctrl+Alt+Delete one time. (yes,all three keys at one time)
    If you hit it twice,that command reboots the computer.
    No need for any software,the OS will tell you all by it's self.You can do this at any time,with any programs running under Windows.

10. yodaman001

UM....windows xp tells you everything that's running on your computer but win98 doesn't...at least from my experience. Even when I manually closed all the running programs (yes ctrl+alt+del) the computer was still using 92% of the ram so I'm still in the same place. Can the network be taking up a percentage? Sorry for sounding sarcastic...but I've been on this computer for days with no results. I'm tempted to just reformat. Are there no other solutions?

11. GwizJoe

GwizJoe

Unless you are actually sending or receiving data,your network should be using a very very minimal amount of the resources.
    How much RAM does this thing have on it anyway?
    From my experience,if a w98 unit is using 92%,you could hardly type on the keyboard without it locking up.
    Christ,I got 640mhz on here and am at 86% available,and I just got done watching a long DVD (Two Towers...,again).
    You better look at what is on your 'Start Up' list as well,something must be running in the background.

Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System information
    Then at the top is the 'Tools' button that will give you a "drop down" of choices,select:System Configuration Utility
    On the top of that,you will find the tab for 'Start Up'.This is where you can see and edit the programs that start at each boot.You may want to uncheck just about everything and try a reboot to see if there is something starting up at boot that is running in the background.Don't worry,you can always go back and re-check them if you need to.

If nothing else,please write up the list of items that you see as both "running" under a normal boot,and the checked items on that 'Start Up' list.Perhaps I can tell what is NOT supposed to be there from that...

Of course,at only 8% available resources,I wonder if you can even navigate on that thing at all....

12. yodaman001

In China...they call the wait period patience...that's a load of crap if you ask me. Anyways, the computer is running on 64 MB of SDRAM which should be enough to open MSWord, Excel, and other office programs without any difficulty, but it takes a while to load. Here's what's starting up:
    internat.exe internat.exe

ScanRegistry c:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe/autorun

TaskMonitor c:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe

SystemTray SysTray.Exe

AtiPTA Atiptaxx.exe

TimeSink Ad Client "C:\Program Files\TimeSink\AdGateway\TSADBOT.EXE"

Kernal32 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Kernel.dll

LoadPowerProfile Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll, LoadCurrentPwrScheme

AVG_CC C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVG6\avgcc32.exe/STARTUP

LoadPowerProfile Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme

SchedulingAgent C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mstask.exe

desktop desktop.ini

FOLDER FOLDER.HTT

FOLDER FOLDER.HTT

desktop desktop.ini

Camio Viewer C:\PROGRA~1\SIERRA~1\IMAGEE~1\IXAPPLET.EXE

Heres what Task Manager is picking up:
    Explorer
    Internat
    Avgcc32
    Ixapplet
    Atiptaxx
    Systray

13. yodaman001

I compared the startup list to my other computers and they looked relatively the same. "internat.exe" is a file that runs under chinese win98.

14. yodaman001

Oh yeah...thanks for helping.

15. yodaman001

I did as you suggested, removing basically all startup files and it still loaded just as slow.

Some more info. The boot screen is really fast...as it should be, but loading windows is what takes a long time. I'm stuck in the loading windows screen for about 45 secs and i'm in windows loading the desktop for another 30 or so seconds. It was a lot faster from what I remember. This isn't normal speed is it?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/163645

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice