1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win98 not booting up

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Kaneohe, Nov 12, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kaneohe

Kaneohe Thread Starter

Hi all,

this is a great forum--very helpful people!

I will be helping a friend with his Win98 SE machine with 64 MB ram --he's getting ready to donate this machine and reformatted the hard drive, and reinstalled Win98 SE. The problem is that he cannot successfully boot off the hard drive; he gets as far as the Win98 splash screen and then the system shuts down. He tried booting off a floppy, but was not successful---he said that the system reassigns drive letters(??). My apologies for not having more accurate information to post as I have not had access to the machine yet.

I plan to look at the machine tomorrow and would appreciate any suggestions of where and how to start the troubleshooting process.

Mahalo,
    Kaneohe

2. columbo

columbo

Hi,

How many partitions are on the system? Is there a second drive?

3. Kaneohe

Kaneohe Thread Starter

Hi Columbo,

It is my understanding that there is only one hard drive with a single partition. I'll confirm this tomorrow.

Aloha
    Kaneohe

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

When he says that it's re-assigning drives, is he referring to when he boots with a boot disk.....this would happen as a ram drive is created and the cdrom drive will get pushed one drive letter ahead.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58355

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice