Win98 not booting up

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Kaneohe

Hi all,

this is a great forum--very helpful people!

I will be helping a friend with his Win98 SE machine with 64 MB ram --he's getting ready to donate this machine and reformatted the hard drive, and reinstalled Win98 SE. The problem is that he cannot successfully boot off the hard drive; he gets as far as the Win98 splash screen and then the system shuts down. He tried booting off a floppy, but was not successful---he said that the system reassigns drive letters(??). My apologies for not having more accurate information to post as I have not had access to the machine yet.

I plan to look at the machine tomorrow and would appreciate any suggestions of where and how to start the troubleshooting process.

Mahalo,
Kaneohe

Kaneohe

Hi Columbo,

It is my understanding that there is only one hard drive with a single partition. I'll confirm this tomorrow.

Aloha
Kaneohe

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
When he says that it's re-assigning drives, is he referring to when he boots with a boot disk.....this would happen as a ram drive is created and the cdrom drive will get pushed one drive letter ahead.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online