1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win98 Not responding then crashing

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by chris70, Sep 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chris70

chris70 Thread Starter

I am having trouble with windows 98se.
    When I try and run certain programs nothing appears to happen.
    When i use ctr alt delete I can see the program.
    If I press end task then it says the program is not responding.
    If I confirm that I want windows to end the task,the screen and mouse freeze.
    When I press ctr alt delete again it shows the blue screen and says that windows has become unstable.

Any ideas as to where to start ?

Many thanks

Chris

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

How much ram do you have?

What programs are you loading at startup?

Start, run, type msinfo32 and hit ok, go to software, startups, edit, select all, edit, copy and come back and paste.

3. Maritimesea

Maritimesea

What are the certain programs, that would be important to know, also did these certain programs always do this or just recently. What hardware do you have? Many programs require alot of computer horsepower to just run properly, so that could be an issue. No way to even begin to sort it out without more details,
    maritimesea

4. chris70

chris70 Thread Starter

I only have 64mb of ram

List of programmes below

ScanRegistry Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
    TaskMonitor Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
    SystemTray Registry (Machine Run) SysTray.Exe
    IrMon Registry (Machine Run) IrMon.exe
    LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Run) Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    AtiPTA Registry (Machine Run) Atiptaxx.exe
    Ati2cwxx Registry (Machine Run) Ati2cwxx.exe
    Zone Labs Client Registry (Machine Run) "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
    AvconsoleEXE Registry (Machine Run) C:\Program Files\Network Associates\McAfee VirusScan\avconsol.exe /minimize
    VsecomrEXE Registry (Machine Run) C:\Program Files\Network Associates\McAfee VirusScan\VSEcomR.EXE
    Vshwin32EXE Registry (Machine Run) C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETWORK ASSOCIATES\MCAFEE VIRUSSCAN\VSHWIN32.EXE
    VsStatEXE Registry (Machine Run) C:\Program Files\Network Associates\McAfee VirusScan\VSSTAT.EXE /SHOWWARNING
    LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Service) Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    SchedulingAgent Registry (Machine Service) mstask.exe
    ATIPOLAB Registry (Machine Service) ati2evxx.exe
    TrueVector Registry (Machine Service) C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZONELABS\VSMON.EXE -service
    Vshwin32EXE Registry (Machine Service) C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETWORK ASSOCIATES\MCAFEE VIRUSSCAN\VSHWIN32.EXE

Thanks

5. chris70

chris70 Thread Starter

System Specs

Compaq Armada m300 p2 333
    64 mb ram
    6gb hard drive
    PCMCIA cd rom

The last programme i cant get working is Rollercoaster Tycoon (the first version)

It worked fine yesterday

Thanks

6. ~Candy~

64 megs of ram is simply not adequate for what you have running.

It may work, but it's going to be hit and miss.

You could try turning off the zonelabs and antivirus program to free up resources while you are playing the game.......but DO NOT go online during this time period...........OR, is this a game that is played online? Sorry, I'm not into gaming.

7. chris70

chris70 Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice.

I didn't consider the lack of memory.

Sometimes you cant see the wood from the trees when your troubleshooting.

Many Thanks

Chris

8. ~Candy~

AtiPTA Registry (Machine Run) Atiptaxx.exe
    Ati2cwxx Registry (Machine Run) Ati2cwxx.exe
    ATIPOLAB Registry (Machine Service) ati2evxx.exe

You can turn those off, they don't need to be running all the time.....that may help your situation.

Start, run, type msconfig and hit ok, go to the startup tab and uncheck, save changes and reboot.

9. Maritimesea

Maritimesea

More ram will help if you can find it for an older motherboard,but your processor(333 mgz) is also going to cause problems if you have too many things running. So set your machine up to do one thing or the other, either games or the internet, not both. If your surfing turn your graphics accelerator off, and all programs like virus scanners and firewalls on. If you wanna play a game slide the graphics acccelerator on and all internet related programs off. Keep your machine clean and lean and you should be able to surf or play a game(as long as you meet the minimum requirements) without those crashes happening.
    maritimesea

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/272175

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice