Win98 OEM CD Question

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

raybro

Howdy Folks... Another question about my daughters new PC we are going to have built.

She currently has a old Compaq with Win98. Her new PC will have XP Pro. She wants to know if it can be set up to dual boot Win98 and XP. I'm not trying to find out about dual booting... I know that can be done. My question more regards the use of the Compaq Win98 OEM CD on a new system. Any reason it wont work?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Actually, depending in the specifics of the OEM CD, that may be an issue. I know a few of the branded Windows disks used to check for the hardware they were designed to run on. OTOH, many did not, and were simply the Microsoft disk with someone else's silkscreen on the label. :)

I don't see why not as the xp boot loader will take care of the boot and another thing is that 98 will not even see xp so I don't see that as being any problem Ray as far as oem goes.

Ok now i seee what John was referring to and yes there is a chance that the 98 cd will not work but you should know in short order..

raybro

Sounds like it can't hurt to give it a shot. Kinda what I figured to do anyway, just wanted to get some opinions. Thanks for the responses. 'preciate it

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts