1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win98 OEM CD Question

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by raybro, Oct 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. raybro

raybro Thread Starter

Howdy Folks... Another question about my daughters new PC we are going to have built.

She currently has a old Compaq with Win98. Her new PC will have XP Pro. She wants to know if it can be set up to dual boot Win98 and XP. I'm not trying to find out about dual booting... I know that can be done. My question more regards the use of the Compaq Win98 OEM CD on a new system. Any reason it wont work?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Actually, depending in the specifics of the OEM CD, that may be an issue. I know a few of the branded Windows disks used to check for the hardware they were designed to run on. OTOH, many did not, and were simply the Microsoft disk with someone else's silkscreen on the label. :)

3. mobo

mobo

I don't see why not as the xp boot loader will take care of the boot and another thing is that 98 will not even see xp so I don't see that as being any problem Ray as far as oem goes.

4. mobo

mobo

Ok now i seee what John was referring to and yes there is a chance that the 98 cd will not work but you should know in short order..

5. raybro

raybro Thread Starter

Sounds like it can't hurt to give it a shot. Kinda what I figured to do anyway, just wanted to get some opinions. Thanks for the responses. 'preciate it

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168889

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice