1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Win98 "Operating System Not Found"

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by eps5132, May 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eps5132

eps5132 Thread Starter

We are using an elderly Win98 computer to run only one program and not for anything else.

Today it won't boot and we are getting the message shown in the title at top of this message.

Hope we can get it going to avoid expense and work which would be needed to load a newer program on one of our up to date computers.

Thanks for help!

2. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

It's entirely possible the hard drive has bit the dust, especially if this is a really old PC. I know it's a stretch, but do you happen to have a copy of the Windows 98 CD and product key? What about the program which was running on the PC? Can you source the 98 version anywhere?

3. eps5132

eps5132 Thread Starter

Sometimes problem turns out to be simple.

My wife had put a mini floppy in the A drive.

She didn't know that would make the computer try to boot from A and I didn't know she had put a disk in A before she turned the computer on!

Thanks for your help!!

Ezra

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1190778

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice