win98 problems oldiload & controller

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ncolt

Hi,
After scanning all the posted questions I've decided to post my own. I'm helping a friend who doesn't know anything about computers but Yahoo email. ;) He's running Win98 with Award Bios, a gig harddrive, 64 memory. This computer has been connected with dial up but now won't do that either. I'm trying to network him so he can get online with my dsl.

The problems: I installed SMC card & have the driver for it. This shows in the System Device but has a red X. When I try to get it installed it does 2 things; 1. it says the odiload.vxd is not installed & it needs that to install the SMC card. Second, I've extracted the odiload.vxd file & could never get it to work so I reformatted, hoping, but neither solution worked.

Now after reformatting - in system devices there are yellow ?s by pci ethernet controller & pci communication.

My computer is XP so I made a network setup card in hopes that it would fix everything but when I ran it on the win 98 computer it said to finish installing devices first. When installing the devices & going to the win 98 cd it says there is no info there about my hardware. It says that when I try to install the driver for the SMC card too even tho its the driver that came with the card.

Does screaming help? lol

Can you help? Thank you for your time!
ncolt

Hello ncolt and welcome to TSG!

The PCI ethernet controller is your network card and the PCI communication device is the modem. Go to the manufacturers website and download the latest drivers.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online