1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

win98 registry not loaded/not started since 2012? possibly

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Arthur Penney, Apr 16, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. Arthur Penney

Arthur Penney Thread Starter

This is not a problem because the pc seems to be working fine. Just a puzzle. PC bought Jan 2000. 16GB drive C with 98SE.
    Added 40GB drive D with XP, usual choice.
    Recently noticed on infrequent start of 98
    Boot check by AVG
    Picture of WIN98
    Message about registry not processed
    After ~30s carries on loading, haven't noticed anything wrong.
    Looking at the candidates for scanreg /restore, the last choice saying 'started' was 2012. The more recent say 'not started'.
    What do these terms mean, in case it isn't obvious?
    What is going on? Can the computer run without the registry?
    I should say that my knowledge about all this stuff is very limited.
    I should also remind the reader of the old wisdom - If it ain't bust, don't fix it. Which i have disobeyed in the past, to my cost.

2. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

The computer can run without the Windows Registry, but the Windows operating system will not run/run right without the Windows registry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Registry

Note: It may be fairly tough trying to find someone else still running Windows 98 and is able/willing to help.

3. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

The AVG boot scan, as far as I remember, does not scan the registry.
    Stop the boot scan and see if that makes a difference.

The registry is accessed every time you start your pc.
    It is suggesting that scanreg /restore has not 'started' [been used] since 2012.
    That means that you haven't used scanreg/restore since that date - is that correct?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  4. Arthur Penney

blues_harp28 Thank you for your reply.
    As I said in the previous message, this is a puzzle rather than a problem as the pc seems to working fine. So I am reluctant to alter anything. I will look into AVG when I get home.
    I will be a bit more explicit about the message that comes up when it says that it has been unable to process the registry. It suggests going to command prompt and running scanreg /fix. That stopped after a short time saying something about lack of conventional memory. As far as I can remember, I have never used scanreg before. I asked for help about it scanreg /? and thought I would try restore with the 2012 option labelled 'started'. The early message about failed to process registry still happened, it then ran into trouble wanting to install stuff that was now missing. Since it had made no difference to the puzzling message, I gave up and restored the registry from a couple of days ago even though it was labelled not started.
    In view of the remarks made so far and the fact that the pc seems to working fine, I am wondering whether win98 is having a second go at loading the registry a bit later. I haven't had any problems with this pc for years.

5. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Since 2012 the registry has automatically added to and removed redundant registry entries, as when you added programs/applications and then, removed them.
    Add to that, Windows updates [in the past] and Windows correcting day to day, week to week, errors that will occur in the registry.

To restore the registry back to 2012 - will not help improve an already out of date operating system and will cause other problems as you highlight above.
    My advice, when something is working - leave it alone.
    You mentioned having AVG installed - are you using this pc to access the internet?

6. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

PC components do wear out, especially hard drives. And when they start to deteriorate, it often can corrupt files.

7. Arthur Penney

blues_harp28 and others,
    Thank you for the replies. The pc is not connected to the internet. I have been getting a bit nervous about the pc failing as it does what I want quite successfully, even a bit of Serif Pageplus desktop publisher, which was pushing it a bit!

8. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    If XP works properly the rest of the PC is probably ok but the Win98 hard drive could be starting to fail.

Do you really need 98 ?

9. Arthur Penney

Managed (Allan), I rarely use win 98 for the main reason that it takes a long time to fully start, compared to partially started enough for, say, notebook. Whereas XP is relatively quick and even quicker from hibernate. However, XP is relatively recent and there are some things on win98 that I like to use occasionally. Touring Cars game comes to mind, the futile exercise of chasing around after Alain Menu and Jason Plato. Thank goodness it's on W98 so that I can't get at it easily. I also take some comfort from seeing that their seem to be quite a number of people getting into difficulties with beloved old software trying to run on new machines.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1225857

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice