1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win98 SE Registry

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by rmancini, Nov 29, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rmancini

rmancini Thread Starter

I installed my Sound Blaster card which put "Starter.exe" in my start-up group which results with a mixer icon appearing in Systray.
    This is an audio mixer which I probably have absolutely no use for and would like to remove from start-up to keep background actvity to a minimum.
    I unchecked it (multiple times) in MSCONFIG only to find it back again upon each subsequent start-up.
    The install also added the following registry keys:
    #1: HKLocal Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    Name: EnsoniqMixer Value: "starter.exe"
    #2: Same as above but with Run- (dash)
    Same name and value.
    Can I get rid of the mixer by removing (or editing) the registry keys or will this action cause problems?
    Is there another, possibly better method of removal?
    I'm not entirely comfortable tinkering with the registry.
    Rich

2. rkselby98

rkselby98

Go to my web site and follow the directions for removing entries from msconfig. They will be listed under msconfig in the table of contents. Follow the instructions for removing them from the registry.

http://www.rselby.com/Windows.html

3. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

These instructions are from a post on another site.

"Start>Run, key in regedit and press enter. Double left click on each of these in the Left pane.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class\Media\0007\Config
    Look for a value called "Starter"

Right click on it in the Right pane and select Modify. Change the data value from 01 to 00

****BTW, if you don't find it under "0007", check the other number keys under the Media key for the Starter value. The location of the entries for the mixer can vary from one PC to another. "

4. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    That thing's a pain in the butt to get rid of. See if <a href=http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=39572> this</a> helps. Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't.

If it doesn't stop it from coming back, some of the Ensoniq cards have a setting on the properties for the sound card in device manager to stop the launch of starter.exe at startup. Right click on MyComputer and select Properties. Now click on the "DeviceManager" tab. Scroll down and click on the "+" next to "Sound, Video and Game Controllers". Locate the sound card entry, right click on it and select Properties. Check under the Settings tabs for the sound card for a setting to eliminate the starter.exe launch at startup.

Let us know what happens.

5. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Sorry Whitphil, I was composing it while you were posting but I guess two is better than one.

6. slipe

slipe

Before you jump through too many hoops check that it isn’t in your Start Up folder in your start menu programs. An entry there will recheck the msconfig entry every start.

7. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Slipe, I'm not sure where you got that from but entries that launch from the Startup folder don't reselect themselves at startup by virtue of the fact that they load from the Startup folder. It's easy to test. Drop a shortcut to something into the Startup, then disable it with msconfig and you'll see it's still disable after each startup.

Some items will "reselect" themselves but that's because the software that's adding the entry to startup will continue to readd it unless you disable it in the software package itself.

8. rmancini

rmancini Thread Starter

Worked like a charm!! Even removed the check boxes from MSCONFIG.
    In my case it was in 0001 but as you said, it varies from PC to PC.
    Many thanks to all.
    Laissez les bons temps rouler!
    Rich

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60104

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice