1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win98 SE Reinstallation Problems on Dell 4100

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by acanthuridae, Feb 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. acanthuridae

acanthuridae Thread Starter

I would GREATLY appreciate any suggestions with this, I'm really stuck! :confused:

I have a Dell Dimension 4100 which does not boot-up from the CD-ROM drive, so I created a boot disk floppy prior to reformatting as per the instructions below:

1. Place a blank, formatted diskette (the disk packaging will say if it has been formatted for PC) in your diskette drive, A:
    2. Click on the Start button and select Settings from the pop-up menu
    3. Click on Control Panel,
    4. A new window will open, double-click Add/Remove Programs from the list of icons
    5. Yet another new window will open, click on the tab labeled Startup Disk
    6. Now click on Create Disk... and follow the on-screen instructions.

I then performed a restart in DOS mode. After the prompt of C:\Windows>
    I typed CD\
    After the prompt C:\>, I typed format C:

The hard drive reformatted successfully and then I restarted the computer with the boot disk floppy inserted and then entered the Dell Product Recovery CD. Everything seemed normal, I saw the DELL welcome screen, which was followed by the Microsoft Windows 98 Startup Menu

1. Start Computer with CD-ROM support
    2. Start Computer without CD-ROM support
    3. View the Help file

I selected 1, which led to the following information displayed:

This driver is provided by Oak Technology, INc. OTI-91X ATAPI CD-ROM device driver, Rev D91XV352 (c) Copyright Oak Technology Inc. 1987-1997
    Device Name: MSCD001
    Transfer Mode: Programmed I/O
    Number of drive: 1

AIC-78XX/AIC-75XX ASPI Manager for DOS
    Version 1.32S
    Copyright 1994-1997 Adaptec, Inc

PCI bus scan complete

AHA-1540 . . . . . ASPI Manager for DOS
    Version 3.36S
    Copyright, etc.

AIC-78 . . . . ASPI Manager for DOS
    Version 1.00S
    Copyright, etc.

PCI bus scan complete.

ASPI CD-ROM Driver for DOS
    Version 4.01S
    Copyright, etc.

Microsoft RAMDrive version 3.06 virtual disk D:
    Disk size: 2,048k
    Sector size: 512 byes
    Allocation unti: 2 sectors
    Directory entries: 64

Preparing to start your computer.
    This may take a few minutes. Please wait . . .

The diagnostic tools were successfully loaded to drive D.

MSCDEX Version 2.25
    Copyright (c) Microsoft Corp, etc.
    Drive E: = Driver MSCD001 unit 0

To get help, type HELP and press ENTER.

A:\>_

So I am stuck here. I have tried entering E: and then typing startup, but I get the error message

Bad command or file name.

So for some reason the computer is not reading the CD from which it can install Windows 98 SE again.

Does anyone have an idea of what I must do? Thank you so much for your help, and for reading through my lengthy entry.

2. nooter

nooter

I see that in your post,at the A:\ prompt you are typing E: and then startup.
    At the A:\ prompt type in E:\setup and then hit enter and that should work for you.

3. acanthuridae

Thanks for the suggestion nooter. However, even when typing E:\setup at the A:\ prompt I get the "Bad command or file name" message. I can hear the CD-ROM drive start up after I type in the command, and I think the drivers should be correct. Do you have any other ideas? Thanks again.

4. nooter

nooter

Can you change the bios to boot from the cd first?

5. acanthuridae

I'll try that, but this computer is old, so I don't think it can boot up directly from the CD-Rom drive.

6. acanthuridae

Thanks nooter. Ignore my last post. It is now working. Changing the bios was the key. You made my day. Thanks so much for your help!

7. nooter

nooter

I am sorry I kind of miss led you there. I had overlooked the fact that you had a Dell Product Recovery CD. When using the Recovery CD it needs to boot from that disk. Glad to hear it is working for you now.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/328293

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice