Win98 seizes up after processing RARs

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Dave_W

Using binary newsgroups usually involves downloading lots of "bits" and re-assembling them using stuff like SmartPar and WinRAR, and this can take a while and use LOADS of diskspace. In the old days this would be large-scale data processing !

If I start processing a backlog of downloaded bits, I find that Windows will eventually seize up, not doing a lot of disk activity, and taking minutes to respond to anything. Eventually it becomes faster to power-cycle the machine to clear it and speed it up. This can be with nothing else running. Are there known problems with Win98 and batch data processing like this? Do programs like WinRAR have memory leaks or what?

I've learned to live with it, but it would be nice to kno what is causing the problem and fix it !

well try oldversion.com 's old powerarchiver. get the free unadvertised one. also sometimes this happens on underpowerd boxes (try and get more ram)

Dave_W

more RAM? - is 512 MB not enough?

ee - I can remember the days when 32k RAM was luxury !

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online