1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win98 Startup Prob

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by dgl345, Feb 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dgl345

dgl345 Thread Starter

Hello Folks,
    I hope you can help with an unusual problem.Until recently I used a IBM365 laptop.Explorer in Win98 got corrupted and as it didn`t have a floppy I was unable to reload Windows.I now have a 600e with floppy so I`m trying to use this to reload Windows on my old hard drive so I can recover my data files.My old 365 had a English(UK) keyboard whereas the 600e has a US keyboard.
    Amazingly if you configure a US keyboard to run Uk spec you lose the " \ ".So when I boot the start up disk and select CD-ROM support I can access the D drive but without " \ " I cant get to Win98 setup.If I start up in DOS comand prompt I get the \ but I can only access C: & A:
    Is there a command I can type after the A prompt which will boot up the Win start up facility?

2. kimmer13

kimmer13

does the 365 boot to dos at all? can you get into its bios settings and see what its boot sequence is? the absence of a floppy drive should not prevent you from reloading windows, you just need it to boot to the cd drive. your win98 cd should be bootable, the floppy was for pc's whose bios wouldn't let them boot to a cd drive.

but to answer your question, on the root of the cd should be "setup.exe", so if you are at the D: prompt just type setup and press enter, you shouldn't have a problem.

3. dgl345

dgl345 Thread Starter

Thanks Kimmer,
    I'm all sorted now. I thought I needed " \win98\setup " for it to load but after reading another Win Startup thread I got access by typing CD WIN98 enter, then SETUP enter.
    So now I'm back up and running.

Cheers

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326782

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice