win98 to win98 SE

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Mrcobra

Ok I am repairing a computer for a friend of mine which currently has win98 installed. Now I have a win98 SE disk as well as another disk that I do not know if it is a upgrade to win98 from win 95 or what. It IS a microsoft disk. Would there be anyway t orell what it is ? Don't say insert the disk, I have already done that and it says:

Windows 98 cd rom with options as follows.
A: Interactive cd sampler
B: Cool video clips
C: Browse this cd
D: Add/Remove software

On the CD itself it says "Microsoft Windows98 Upgrade"

2nd question is: Is there ANY WAY possible for me to upgrade this to win98 SE ? Can I use the win98 SE cd that I have and NOT loose what is already on this compter ? Can I get 98 se from microsoft somewhere ?

Help......

Thanks

UPDATE:

Ok after doing some reading I have found that by upgrading to SE that the only thing that I cannot get via widows update is the Internet Connection Sharing feature.

So it all seems like a waste. She does to need the Internet Connection Sharing feature.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
If the CD is a legal "Microsoft Windows 98 Upgrade" CD, it'll say "Second Edition" somewhere on the CD. If it doesn't, you can assume that it's an original version of Windows 98.

One way to find out for sure is to insert the CD and allow it to auto-start, click "Browse This CD", open the WIN98 folder, then double-click the "Setup.exe" file. If it's Windows 98 Second Edition, the setup process will start. You can continue on or cancel.

If you do continue on with setup, make sure to have the 25-digit product code for that CD, and make sure to install setup in C:\WINDOWS.

Installing Windows 98 Second Edition over the original version of Windows 98 will normally keep the current files and programs intact.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mrcobra

flavallee said:
If the CD is a legal "Microsoft Windows 98 Upgrade" CD, it'll say "Second Edition" somewhere on the CD. If it doesn't, you can assume that it's an original version of Windows 98.

One way to find out for sure is to insert the CD and allow it to auto-start, click "Browse This CD", open the WIN98 folder, then double-click the "Setup.exe" file. If it's Windows 98 Second Edition, the setup process will start. You can continue on or cancel.

If you do continue on with setup, make sure to have the 25-digit product code for that CD, and make sure to install setup in C:\WINDOWS.

Installing Windows 98 Second Edition over the original version of Windows 98 will normally keep the current files and programs intact.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ok after looking again at the cd I do NOT see anywhere on there that it says second edition. Yes it's legal :)

As I said in my updated original post everything that I am reading says that updating to se is a waste unless you want the internet connection sharing feature....so I guess we will just leave it like it is.....

thanks

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Upgrading from 98 to 98SE is not a waste, and it gives you "full" USB support - which 95 OSR2 and 98 doesn't do.

You'll also find that a lot of new hardware and software require 98SE and newer.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mrcobra

flavallee said:
Upgrading from 98 to 98SE is not a waste, and it gives you "full" USB support - which 95 OSR2 and 98 doesn't do.

You'll also find that a lot of new hardware and software require 98SE and newer.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well I didn't upgrade it and I still think it's a waste, lol..Just my opinion.. She has full use of USB's, hell she even runs a USB hub.

I told her she needs to go to XP anyway but somehow I doubt she will....

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
What is the processor type/speed and the amount of RAM in her computer, and how old is it? It may not qualify for an XP upgrade.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online