1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

win98 to xp

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by conlo, Jan 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. conlo

conlo Thread Starter

I just installed WinXP over my Win98. It installed just fine and I was able to use it right after installation. When I started my pc the nest morning, I got the following error message : " One of your disk needs to be checked for consistency. File is Fat32. You may cancel the disk check, but it is highly recommended that you continue. Windows will now check file. Windows \Dump30f8-tmpfirst allocation is not valid. Windows verifying files and folders. Windows has made corrections to the file system . Windows \Dump3efg.rmp is crossed linked on a allocation unit 18130. Cross link resolved by copying. Windows has made corrections to the file system. "
    It keeps rebooting the pc and keeps repeating this message.
    I looked into my BIOS and it appears that nothing is there.
    What is goin on??

2. randyrayd

randyrayd

If this keeps happening repetively, I think your hard drive is going south. I would copy everything you can and run a manual scan. I forgot what it's called in XP....check disk maybe?

Randall

3. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

"Upgrading" from 98 to XP is a problem at the best of times, a clean install after a reformat instead of an upgrade is always recommended.

If you know what make of hard drive you have you could download the makers diagnostic programs from the web, I don't see how you can run Chkdsk in XP if it will no longer load Windows (XP has no underlying DOS).

Slave the drive to another PC, extract all your critical data and do a reformat and reinstall.
    If it fails the format, consider a new hard drive.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I agree. Format the hard drive and do a clean install of XP. The XP CD will do all the work.

Boot from the XP CD.

Delete the current C: partition.

Create a new C: partition.

Format the new C: partition with the NTFS file system.

Install XP.

(Note: Since your XP CD is likely an "upgrade" version, you'll also need a Windows CD with a previous operating system because it'll ask for one during the setup process)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5. conlo

conlo Thread Starter

Never having attempting a Format before, can you please be a little more specific on how to actually do the following steps.
    DELETE THE CURRENT C:pARTITION
    CREATE A NEW C: PARTITION
    FORMAT THE NEW C: PARTITION WITH THE NTSFIJLE SYSTEM

6. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

You should be able to follow those steps directly from the boot menu when the PC boots from the XP CD.

Remember that you will lose all data on the drive in this process.

7. conlo

conlo Thread Starter

Following your advice, I did format my hard drive and installed WinXP. Now I need to get my pc to recognize my modem so I can go on the Internet. I have tried several times using my Earthlink installation disk, and I just keep on getting the message that no modem is installed. I have looked into the BIOS, and can't seem to find any Modem info. Where do I start to get things going . I have a US Robotics 56K internal modem.

8. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Hmmmm. Usually an XP install will install the drivers for a modem or network card and allow it to connect to the Internet.

Have you tried to create a dial-up connection and enter the requested information?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

9. win2kpro

win2kpro

Although XP has an excellent driver base there are some US Robotics modems where XP doesn't have the driver.

Is the modem listed in the Device Manager with a yellow exclamation point or a red x next to it? If it is listed in the Device Manager you can install EVEREST at
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html and it should identify the model of the modem.

After you have the model go to the US Robotics site and download and install the proper driver.

I had one a few months ago where I had to physically remove the modem to get the model directly off the modem to find the driver.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/435159

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice