win98 usb port

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

conlo

I lost contact from my pc to my HP photo smart printer. I think my USb port was disabled. How do I enable it??

Have you got another usb device to try in the port just to confirm?

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Check the USB cable and make sure it didn't get pulled loose on one end.

Plug the cable into a different USB port.

Have you tried going into the printer toolbox and running a communications test?

Are you using Windows 98(4.10.1998) or Windows 98SE(4.10.2222)?

What is the model number of your printer?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

conlo

have win98 SE 4.10.2222-A
model of printer : photosmart 1000
In the device manager listing , a yellow ? is by the by the USB which says the drivers are not installed for this device. Tried reinstalling drivers thru the installation CD of the printer, and thru the win98 files. Could not be found. Have two usb ports and tried both of them making sure of a good connection.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
The software updates and support site for your HP PhotoSmart 1000 printer is located here. If you haven't already done it, you need to save the site in your browser favorites list so that you can refer to it when needed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Version 3.5 of the printer software and drivers for that printer is located here. The release date for it was November 2004, so it's possible that you have an older version installed. Whether you do or not, you need to download and install it. The file name is 3511_enu_9x_me_release.exe, so double-clicking it after it's been downloaded and saved will start the install process. Just follow the directions. Once the install is finished, you'll likely need to reboot.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a HP printer that had a simillar problem. I think its something to do with the USB ports getting mixed up, when the printer is off and the PC is on, then it does not detect the printer again.

GO into device manager and delete all the items under the UNIVERSAL SERIAL BUS CONTROLLERS section, then restart your pc, and let every thing reinstall.

conlo

I did succed in finding whether the USB ports were enabled by going into the Bios, and they were enabled, so I believe the problem is between the pc and the printer. I was unable to go to your link for the hp printer drivers, but I had downloaded the 3511 enu 9x me.exe file but the printer did not find it from the folder it was put in. I have not tried yet the suggestion by Beno78, but I will. Thanks for all your good info.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
All you need to do is double-click the file. The install process will start and complete automatically.

If you're trying to do it via the Add New Hardware wizard and direct the printer to that file, forget about it. Just double-click the file.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

conlo

Ok, I did double click on the" 3511 enu 9x me release.exe" file. The printer installation program did pop up and asked what port I wanted to use and I selected the USB port. It also requested that the printer be unpowered and the USB plug uknconnected. So I did this and rebooted. When I again selected the USB port , the printer program then said to power the printer and plug in the USB plug into the pc, and that this could take a few minutes When I did this the printer installation program disappeared . I waited ten minutes and got a message saying the printer was not responding.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Leave the printer connected and powered on this time, then try the software install again.

conlo

ok, I tried the last suggestion by leaving the pc and USB connected and got the same results. " Printer not responding"
If I do remove the USB serial bus controler files from the Device Manager menu,will I be able to get them back. I am leary of taking this action in fear of losing these files. Will I have to go back into the Bios to reinstall them??

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I've never removed them from the Device Manager, so I don't know what would happen after you rebooted.

Do you have another printer USB cable that you can use, just to make sure that there isn't a problem with your cable?

conlo

I have another pc ,and I was able to install the printer software successfully, so I assume the problem lies in the USB ports of my main pc

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
It's a good thing that you have another computer that helped you pinpoint the problem.

Does the problem computer have front and rear USB ports, and have you tested both? The reason I mention this is because I discovered the rear ports in my Compaq Presario 5900T don't work, but the front ports work fine.

conlo

My USB ports are on the back of the pc only. Have two inputs and tried them both.
Can Beno78 input something here since he says he has experienced removing the Universl bus controller files from the Devie Manager menu ??

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online