Win98-vs-Win ME

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

paqrat

OK heres the deal,
I was given a Compaq Presario 1200 (650 MhZ CPU, 64M Ram, 2 gig HD) it has been well used and came with no CDs for the OS or drivers utils etc. It is running Win ME and seems to be ok. I would like to clean it up and give it to a fellow student to crank out papers in Word or what ever maybe a little surfing.
Given that it seems to be running trouble free (knock on wood) should I uninstall the unwanted programs and files and just leave ME installed and go from there or should I format the HD and go with clean install of Win98 and Office97? anyone have any advice? (I know, silly question) I don't have any experience with ME and it been a while since I messed with 98, so I will be trolling around for clues either way.
BTW Anyone have any favorite Uninstall utilities for ME? The add/remove programs function does not seem to list all a whole lot.
thanks in advance for your much needed advice
Ann

I have used Win ME in the past and found it not that stable. I have also had Windows XP and hated that and reinstalled Windows 98se. Before anyone comments on my dislike of Windows XP, I use the MS Train Simulator and it was awful in XP and runs great in 98!

I'd say wipe the HD and go with Win 98 and give him Office.

paqrat

Do you think that the varioius bells and whistles that come withthe Compaq disks are worth trying to restore or keep? Can you replace ME with 98se without wiping?

DoubleHelix

Banned
What "bells and whistles" are on this really old computer that someone writing Word documents and maybe checking e-mail can't live without?

No, you can't install Windows 98 on a computer with Windows ME installed without completely formatting the hard drive.

You may need to find Windows 98 drivers for the hardware.

I'd leave it alone and use it as-is. Just remove any spyware or viruses. It's not worth spending time on if it's working now.

If there aren't many items listed in Add/Remove Programs, that probably means not a lot of stuff is installed on it. With only a 2GB hard drive, not much is going to fit.

Does the student you're giving this to know the specs of this machine?

paqrat

yes, but they don't mean much to him.
I know that when it has a problem he will be bringing it back to me to fix it so I just want o make my life easier.
the only bell or whistle I am concerned about is the compaq diagnostics package. Do you have any experience with this? I figure since it is configured to the individual system then it might be worth keeping.

DoubleHelix

Banned
I've never seen Compaq Diagnostics do anything useful. I know it can be downloaded for newer computers. With something that old, who knows.

The specs might mean something to him if he wants to use the computer for something that it's not powerful enough to do.

paqrat

Okay, well I will go ahead and scrub it, and see how it runs. And I will be sure to post the outcome. I work in an Anthropology Dept with very little funding so this unit will be doing field work. Word processing, spreadsheets, email, maybe PowerPoints. nothing too fancy or complex. Stability is my main concern. I have seen students do very strange things to computer files and I'd like to keep it from crashing or at least be able to get the thing up and running easily if it does.

paqrat

BTW, I hav not scrubbed this machine yet and hav not had a chance to work with it at all, I will keep you posted.
A

uninstall apps @pcworld.com/downloads or look for 'my uninstaller' onthe net as it's
good&runs on 98 & ME no prblems.Ashampoo have an uninstaller suite which is THE
utility for all versions.I signed up for a trial many moons ago & the uninstaller suite is
still functional! Ashampoo just sent me 'cd burning suite'to and Ive trialled alot of
their stuff with no limitations,plus they give birthday presents so no complaints there!Sign up with your e-mail address because aftera while you
will be offered any or all utilities @ 90% discount & get oportunities to
download some really excellent software.Another site for free downloads
which are clean is www.webgrid.co.uk-pages&pages of stuff,I think there
may be uninstallers there too &recommend 'win key finder' to all who lose
their codes-no problems with any of their stuff-no adds or spyware.HellChess
is a real challenge.www.cc- solutions.com/drivers.html(could be handy link)!

paqrat

ok so I ran WipeDrive, reformatted an loaded Win98se. That went smoothly, then I went to Compaq site (using another computer) and downloaded drivers for the video, audio and touchpad, burned them on a cd and I loaded the video driver with no problem, when came to the audio install it sort of hosed up, it asked for the Win 98 cd again so I put that in and it hung up, I repbooted and it seemed to finish up ok but it does not reliably detect that there is a cd in the drive. It was an intermittant problem so I am more inclined to think the cd drive is starting to fail rather than a generic cdrom driver issue (any thoughts?) I loded office 97 and a couple other data processing/analysis programs which I will be working with this weekend so I will have a chance to test it. Thank to thse who gave(and will give) their input, and Deodar, thanks for the sugestions, I can always use more tricks for my bag. ;)
Ann E

ekim68

Mike
Well, just in case it's a hardware problem, put a CDROM cleaner CD in the drive to clean
the reader, and retry...There's always dust in the air...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online