1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win98 & winXP network is broken...

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Gandalf99, Oct 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gandalf99

Gandalf99 Thread Starter

Hi All,

Today I somehow managed to break a clients network.

The network is a peer to peer - win98 & winxp through a hub.

The XP machine has an ADSL modem connected to it via USB that is on 10.0.0.1
    ( It was all working fine until I installed a Firewall on the 98 machine and then un-installed it when things did not work ! )

If I let the network card set up the connection using DHCP, it gives the XP machine an address in the range 169.254.31.100 but has the Exclamation mark against it saying it has limited connectivity. ( I manually entered this range for the 98 machine with no joy )

If I manually set the XP machine to 192.168.0.100 and the 98 to 192.168.0.150, they can ping each other, but I can't see either shared drive when browsing from either end.

The network name is WORKGROUP on both machines.

This all happened because I installed an firewall on the 98 machine, then took it off, but something has changed, but it is not obvious what is wrong.

Anyone with any thought I would really appreciate it. I have remote access to the XP machine but not the 98 - so it is a bit frustrating getting the guy at the other end to be my eyes on the 98 machine !!!

Really desperate - Thanks...
    Dave

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, since you've fooled around with the XP machine's configuration and the W98, you'll probably have to configure both of them.

For the XP machine, let's reset the TCP/IP stack.

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

Take a look at this Microsoft ICS (Internet Connection Sharing tutorial to get ICS configured again on the XP machine.

Finally, for the W98 machine, make sure automatic IP addressing is setup. Then on the W98 machine, run this Automated WINSOCK Fix all Windows Versions to repair any damage that the firewall may have caused.

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

"This all happened because I installed an firewall on the 98 machine, then took it off, but something has changed"

Any details you can provide?

Can you ping by both the computer's IP address and Name?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/644141

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice