1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win98 won't start various error messages.....

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Aquarian3, Sep 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Aquarian3

Aquarian3 Thread Starter

Hi,

I've got a computer here with Win98 on, I tried booting it up but it came up with these error's:

missing or corrupt
    c:\windows\setver.exe

error config.sys line 1

missing or corrupt
    c:\windows\himem.sys
    c:\dblbluff.sys
    c:\ifshlp.sys

Cannot find Win.com

Now, I tried to stick in a Win98 CD and reinstall windows but it said there was a compression on the computer and wouldn't even do that! The computer didn't have a recovery disk with it - can anyone advise (apart from giving it flying lessons out the window!).

Thanks in advance
    Lee.

2. panzer999

panzer999

Hi Aquarian

Not sure what you do/don't know here...have you tried restoring from the .cab files?

3. RSM123

RSM123

If you only started getting this problem in the last couple of days try this :

Boot into Dos (or use Restart in Dos from shutdown menu) then type :

Scanreg /Restore (note the space after scanreg.)

You should be presented with a list of the last 5 successful Win registry boot ups. Pick one from before you encountered this problem (not the very first).

Allow Win to boot up.

If not successful try going Start > Run type SFC (For the System File Checker) . This will scan your system for any altered files and when found will ask if you want to restore the default version.

Use your Win CD

4. Aquarian3

Aquarian3 Thread Starter

I can't start Windows so am unable to do the System File Checker - but thank you anyway :)

I'll look up restoring CAB files from the net to get some step-by-step instructions! It's been a while - thank you again for your replies,

Lee.

5. rosepetals

rosepetals

I had a similar problem. Windows just wouldn't load up just a bunch of errors and missing or corrupt files. It's kinda hard to fix the computer when you can't even start windows. Go to www.drd.dyndns.org/index2.html click on boot disk and go almost to the end of the page until you see boot disk essentials. click on one of the floppy formats and download to save. when saved, open file and have floppy disk ready when it's done copying to floppy start computer leave disk in. When computer starts it should bring up the prompt of your floppy disk drive. Type A:\scandisk/all/surface it should check for errors and fix them if fixable. when done restart computer and see what happens. If the HIMEM.SYS file is missing you can go to www.computerhope.com/ac.htm and it'll tell you all you need to know about any of the files just click on your operating system. Good luck, it worked for me it fixed my file errors. Now I'm up in running in my windows 98. I just go to fix my plug n play error now. Good luck again.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165718

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice