1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

win98

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by conlo, Jan 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. conlo

conlo Thread Starter

This may not be in your field of expertise, but you may be able to steer me in the right path.
    The phone company is billing me for international calls that I did not make . They say the calls are coming from my computer, and that it is my responsibility to find out who is doing it. How can their tech know the calls are coming from my pc?? What can I do to protect myself ?? Can someone access my pc phone line while I am online??
    Who is qualified to check my pc for that kind of problem??

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Sounds like you may have a dialer installed on your system.

Download hijack this, save it to its own folder, NOT TO DESKTOP OR TEMP FOLDER, scan your system and post a scan log.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3155.html

3. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Hi in addtion to posting a hjt log..to see if you are infected..
    You can d/load a modem protection program.
    Many service providers have their own modem protection program..and you can see immediately if your modem is dialing other numbers...
    Post a hjt log..as soon as you can..

4. ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

That does sound like a dialer!

Update your anti-virus software and run a virus scan. If you don't have any download and install Avast or AVG which are both free.
    Update your anti-spyware software and run a scan. If you don't have any download and Ad-Aware personel, Spybot which are both free.
    I would also download and install A-squared and run that as well. A-squared is an application that specifically scan for trojans.
    I would also suggest that you update your firewall and if you don't have one download ZoneAlarm or Sygate.

Don't forget to post a Hijack this log!

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    If you've been browsing some unscrupulous websites, one of them probably installed a "dialer" in your computer.

The HijackThis log will show us what's running in the background and what nasties are present.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6. conlo

conlo Thread Starter

I did as you suggested and downloaded some protection programs. I had AVG, I downloaded SPYBOT, A SQUARED, and HIJACK. Will download ZONEALARM tomorrow.
    Are you willing to look at my HIJACK log to see if you can find any baddies ??

7. ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    We can look at your HijackThis log, but you need to post it first.

You can post it here, but if you decide to post it in the "Security" section, make them aware that you started a thread in another section, then include the link to that thread, which is

http://forums.techguy.org/windows-95-98-me/432698-win98.html?posted=1#post3278931

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

9. ~Candy~

Please do not recommend the creation of another thread. It is easier to keep things together until we see if it is a security problem or not ;)

10. conlo

conlo Thread Starter

I am not sure how to do this.(posting my Hijack log). I clicked on your link and got a red hand icon . I then typed in the addrress in the address box and was returned to the standard win 95 page. Could you be a little more specific on how to add the Hijack log onto my reply to you ??

11. ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

Goto http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html and download Hijack this.
    Run it and click on do a scan and save a log file, it will then run a scan and display a log file in notepad. Paste the contents on the log file with your next post.

12. conlo

conlo Thread Starter

Did download Hijackthis and did run and save a logm but saw no way of Copy and Paste method. Log page showed no File or Edit menu . Nothing but the list and on the bottom , options to scan fix checked, config., add checked to ignore list

13. ~Candy~

Did the log open up?

14. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Here are some more specific directions on how to install HijackThis and obtain a log.

Download HJTsetup.exe from this link:

http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/files/HJTsetup.exe

Save HJTsetup.exe to your desktop or whereever you want to save it.

Close all open browser windows.

Double-click on the HJTsetup.exe file that you just downloaded and saved.

Allow it to install to C:\Program Files\HijackThis.

Continue to click "Next" in the setup dialog boxes until you get to the "Select Additional Tasks" dialog.

Put a checkmark by "Create a desktop icon", then click the "Next" button.

Continue to follow the rest of the prompts from there.

At the final dialog box, click "Finish". That will start the HijackThis program. If the program doesn't start on its own, just doulbe-click its desktop icon.

Click on the "Do a system scan and save a log file" button. HijackThis will scan your system and then ask you to save the log.

Click "Save" to save the log file. The log will open in Notepad.

Click "Format - Word Wrap" and make sure there is a checkmark next to "Word Wrap". This allows the text to be viewed properly without having to scroll back and forth.

Click "Edit - Select All", then click "Edit - Copy". Do NOT close Notepad yet. Just minimize it and get it out of the way.

Come back to your thread and open a new reply window, then click "Edit - Paste". The log will then appear in the reply window. You can add any comments above or below the log, if you wish.

15. conlo

conlo Thread Starter

I am still not able to copy and paste my Hijackthis log. I get as faras "Click on the " Do a systemscan and save a log file " Does not seem to open in Notepad. The log appears with heading " Hijackthis-v1.99.1 and shows a whole page of listings. Another window appears on top of this one called " Add Download", and here I save to folder " C:Windows\desktop ". from here nothing happens and if I go back and double click on the desktop icon, the procedure starts all over again.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/432698

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice