1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win98

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by computurguy, Nov 24, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. computurguy

computurguy Thread Starter

A friend has a Win98 machine that when ever you open a window (my computer,control panel,Internet Explorer etc...) The contents is grayed out. If you right click the gray area, a small close button appears. When you click it the contents of the window appears. I have not run accross this before any ideas??.:confused:

2. Dan O

Dan O

Sounds like a reinstall of Windows 98 is needed, which will refresh the Windows system files. When reinstalling use the same folder that Windows is currently installed (i.e., Windows), then you will not have to reinstall all the other applications.

3. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

4. computurguy

Thanks for the help. I was trying to get around the reinstall if possible.

5. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Could you please take a screen shot of how that appears and then upload it here? You are opening these windows and not "exploring" right?

6. computurguy

Yes Mosiac1. When you open any window instead of standard white background the whole window is gray. Right click on gray,left click on close button icons and white background appears. Same with internet homepage appears after close button clicked. Can continue surfing fine but once browser or window closed when reopen gray again. Thought maybe virus ? Ran scan did not find any.

7. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

I know I have seen this once before. I have been looking and cannot find it.

Some utility running in the background. Try this. Download Startup log from this link. Run it on the computer in question. Copy and paste the contents into a post here. And if you could please get a screen shot too.

http://home.earthlink.net/~rmbox/Reticulated/Toys.html

8. computurguy

Thanks I will get the info you requested as soon as possible. He is out of town for holidays will be back next week. Thanks again

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59475

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice