1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

win98se accidental dual install. Can I delete one?

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by desca42, Jan 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. desca42

desca42 Thread Starter

Hi, folks. I run win98se on an old computer with a p166. Recently I noticed that I was getting a lot of blue screens, and it would hang on shutdown. After trying several things, I decided to do a "repair install", however, I messed up along the way and now I have the original windows.000, and the new directory; windows.001. I figured what the heck, so I configured the new one (windows.001) with all my personal settings and now it seems to run fine. My question is this: Can I now delete windows.000 without doing any harm?
    Thanks in advance.

2. ceri sheeran

ceri sheeran

Hi,

I would advise a clean install. to C: partition

Back up all critical data, documents, music, photographs etc.

Ensure you have all drivers for Sound Modem Video Network Card and anything else.

Create a Win98 SE boot disk from http:://www.bootdisk.com. Run the image file to create the bootable floppy disk.

Test it to ensure CD access.

Boot from created floppy disk. You may need to alter boot equence in BIOS to do this.

Insert CD and then CD x to CD ROM drive ( x is drive letter for CD drive )

Type SETUP and follow wizard.

If you have a second partition you don't need. Use FDISK before you iinstall to delete and then create the necessary or required number of partitions.

hth

Ceri

3. desca42

desca42 Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick reply ceri! I was hoping I could get away with not doing a clean install, but (sigh), such is life. I appreciate your help.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The correct folder name for the Windows folder should be WINDOWS and not WINDOWS.000 or WINDOWS.001 and soforth.

Whenever you reinstall Windows over itself or do an upgrade, it'll sometimes bring up WINDOWS.###(with a 3-digit file extension) to install it in. You need to remove this file extension so it says WINDOWS before you continue on.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is your Windows 98SE CD a "full" version or an "upgrade" version? If it's an "upgrade" version, you'll also need a Windows 98 or Windows 95 CD.

After you format the hard drive with a fully-bootable startup floppy disk and then start to do a fresh install of Windows 98SE with an "upgrade" CD, you'll be asked to insert a CD with a previous operating system before you can continue on. If you don't have a Windows 98 or Windows 95 CD to do this, you won't be able to continue.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/437872

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice