1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win98SE and Photo Editor

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Dan Mc, Sep 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dan Mc

Dan Mc Thread Starter

I used to be able to click on a .jpeg file and it would automatically open in MS Photo Editor...now, if I click the file, Photo Ed opens but the .jpeg doesn't show.

How to I reset that to make the image open when Photo Ed opens?

2. pedroguy

pedroguy

Hi:Don't know if this is what you are looking for but,
    If you right click on your JPG image file while holding down the shift key you will get a drop down menu "open with" in which you will be given choices of apps that you can use to open this particular type of file.If on that list you select MS photo editor and check,always open with this program,you should be able in the future to open jpeg files with photo ed.

3. iq454

iq454

What OS?

95 and 98
    Do this, open your folder where the jpeg is, or make a folder and put it in it, right click inside the folder and select "view as web page" then maximize the window, highlight the jpeg, it should show a preview of the jpeg, if there is no preview after a few seconds, then the file is corrupted, if it shows, then open Photo Editor first, then from its file drop down menu, open file, locate the jpeg, and open. Still not showing? Try making an association with another program if you can by following pedroguys example to see if anything else works, use IE to open it.

XP
    Do this, right click the file and select preview up the top.
    if it doesn't show a picture in the picture fax viewer, then it's corrupted. If it does show up, then maybe something has gone wrong with the editors associations. Try looking through the photo editor to see if the editor is actually still allowed to view it.

Try making an association with another program if you can by following pedroguys example to see if anything else works.

4. Dan Mc

Dan Mc Thread Starter

The web page view does show the preview, but I want to click the image in the folder and have it open in the Photo Ed program w/o having to dearch for the file (IOW, click and it opens).

The files somehow were associated with Netscape...I need to get them back to Photo Ed.

5. pedroguy

pedroguy

Dan:I think my suggestion will associate your file as well as all future JPEGS with photoed.At least it does for me.

6. Dan Mc

Dan Mc Thread Starter

Pedro,

I tried that and it still doesn't work...in file types, there are three .jpeg associations and all show PhotEd, but the don't pop open when I click them...??????

7. pedroguy

pedroguy

Dan:I just did a search on "file association" and got a few interesting hits.Unfortunately,I cannot for some reason,do some of the things they suggest,just to test out their therories,but you might try and take a look at some of these threads and try the file association suggestions that they came up with.Sorry

8. iq454

iq454

Then the files are associated with netscape and not Photo Ed, a few lines back you said you clicked it and it opend in Photo Ed, it just doesn't show the picture, if it's associated with netscape it should open in netscape, weird.

Anyways, go to your file types tab, and select jpg and jpeg and select "edit" for 95 and 98, in the actions window, highlight open, and then select edit, then select browse, then find photo ed.exe or whatever is, and select "open", then just okay both windows to test it....

XP. Click advanced, highlight the open action then click edit, then select browse, then find photo ed.exe or whatever it is, and select "open", then just okay both windows to test it.

9. bizzt

bizzt

As before press shift and then right click on a Jpeg. Try opening in Paint for Example. Does it Open? Try doing the same and try opening in MS Photo Editor. Does it open now? If it doesn't try removing Photo Editor and then Re-installing it

10. iq454

iq454

just use the open action window to associate it....

11. Dan Mc

Dan Mc Thread Starter

My thougt was to reinstall PhotoEd as well...I use Win98SE...how can I reinstall just PhotoED?????????? Would that then associate the .jpegs with it, ya think? (I can open PhotoEd and then oppen a .jepg, but that means searching each one, rather than having them open on a click.)

12. iq454

iq454

so what I suggested never worked either?

13. pedroguy

pedroguy

I don't think that re-installing Photoed would make the association.But,FYI,I beleive that photoed is part of the MS Office installation.
    It still puzzles me that following my first suggestion does not work.If you do this,do you get any kind of error or what.
    And,the age old question:If this worked once,when did it stop working and did you make any changes(software/hardware)about this time that could have broken the file association relationship?

14. iq454

iq454

hi pedro,

I believe what's happend is, "netscape" has stolen the association and left the photo ed icon instead of replacing it with its own, which normally happens when it gets changed without the users consent. He has to change the path to the application that opens it by browsing to it through "file types".
    Because, even though he said, "the files are associated with netscape" yet, he said, "in file types, there are three .jpeg associations and all show PhotEd".

This is classic "stolen association". Fix it by going back to "file types" tab, and select "jpg" and select "edit", in the "actions" window, highlight "open", and then select "edit", then select "browse", then find "photoed.exe" or what ever is the applications main executable, and select "open", then just okay both windows.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!