1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win98SE attachment problems.

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Deb123, Aug 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Deb123

Deb123 Thread Starter

Hello,

New hear but have a problem and though someone might know a solution.
    I have had Win98SE for some time but recently I noticed I have not been able to
    open some attachments. I recently received 4 attachments and one is a .pdf that I can open, 2 that are .doc I cannot and one is a .xls that I can't open either.
    I had thought that maybe it was because they were to large for Win98 was the reason but
    have since learned that is not it since one is real small.

This actually started months ago it was just not a major issue at the time but is now, I need to open them. One thing is some time ago I did go to Microsoft and get updates.
    Is their any security up date that could cause this?
    What I get when I try to open them is a word pad box that says I have performed a illegal
    operation and will close.

Any ideas on what could be causing this and or how to fix it?

Deb123

2. rugrat

rugrat

I am assuming these are email attachments and you are using outlook express. MS updated outlook to not open attachments that could be a virus. Problem is it blocks most attachments. If my assumptions are correct, try this,

1. Start Outlook Express.
    2. On the Tools menu, click Options.
    3. Click the Security tab, click to clear the Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus check box under Virus Protection, and then click OK.

Good Luck

3. Deb123

Deb123 Thread Starter

No I have never used outlook, though it is on the computer, webemail is my default.

Deb123

4. Deb123

Deb123 Thread Starter

In addition to what I said above, I have Microsoft Works and Wordpad, should they not open attachments with .doc at the end.

Deb123

5. raybro

raybro

Try this. First save the attachements to your desktop. Now open the program they relate to (*.doc - Word, *.xls - Excel). In the application under File, select Open, then navigate to the document to open it. This is known as opening a document from within the application. Thereafter, simply clicking on the document icon should open it.

Raybro

6. Deb123

Deb123 Thread Starter

Raybro,
    As said in my original post, can't open attachments to save anywhere. Keep getting a
    a word pad box that says "you have performed a illegal operation" and will close.
    That is my problem. I was just stating that as my email I use Bellsouth's web email and
    I have Wordpad and Micosoft Works and is a Win98Se, not that that has anything to do
    with why the .doc attachments won't open-which is the problem.

Deb123

7. raybro

raybro

Actually, what you said was you could not OPEN the documents. You said nothing about not being able to save the attachment. I took that to mean when you clicked on the attachment nothing happened. If that is not the case then ignore what follows and post back with what happens when you double click the attachment. If that is what happens, then proceed with the following.

As I suggested in my previous post, save the attachment to your desktop and open it within the application. To save the attachment to your desktop, right click on the attachment icon in the bar in th e-mail labeled Attach: and select Save As. in the next window, navigate to the desktop and select SAVE. This with create an icon for the attachment on your desktop. Now open the appropriate application (i.e. Word for .doc), click File and select Open. In the next window, navigate to the desktop and double click on the attachment.

I apologize if this is to fundamental for you... I mean no offense. Just trying to help.

Hope this helps... Raybro

8. Deb123

Deb123 Thread Starter

No not too fundamental and I do appreciate the help.
    I did what you suggested and it half worked. Here is what I did, right clicked on
    the attachment, selected save target as (the only save) then box came open was set to
    html document which I changed to "all files" and selected desktop and closed.
    The icon did come on the desktop however when I went to word then open
    and then desktop and it was not listed, in fact only a few things that are on my
    desktop were listed, tried my documents also.
    Do you know why?

Deb123

9. Deb123

Deb123 Thread Starter

I tried to add to the above post but for some reason couldn't.
    I went back to word then open selected desktop and changed the file type
    from word.doc to all files and the icon was listed, selected it then changed
    file type back to word.doc and opened. This is what came up.

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//IETF//DTD HTML//EN"><html><!--H+ ))

IT IS A LOT MORE THAN THIS BUT WHY DID IT OPEN IN HTML CODE, SOMETIME AGO I TRIED TO OPEN ONE JUST FROM THE EMAIL BAR AND IT ASK WHERE TO SAVE AND I SELECTED WORD AND IT OPENED IN CODE(NOT CERTAIN WHAT IT IS CALLED, LITTLE BLANK SQUARES) BUT I DID NOT NEED THAT
    DOCUMENT AT THAT TIME. THE THING IS MY ATTACHMENTS USE TO OPEN BUT DO NOT OPEN MANY SO NOT SURE WHAT HAS CHANGED THAT. I CAN'T REMEMBER IF THEY OPENED IN WORD PAD. I HAVE WORKS BUT AT ONE TIME HAD TO REINSTALL IT BUT IT WORKS OK.

DEB123
    Deb123

10. raybro

raybro

Sorry, I do not have a clue what that message content indicates.

I've one other alternative to suggest. This is from a web mail account, correct? Do you have another regular POP3 e-mail account with your ISP which you access with Outlook or Outlook Express? If so, try forwarding the messages with attachments to that account, retrieve them from the ISP mail server with your e-mail client (Outlook or Outlook Express) and try opening the attachment that way. This may have something to do with security settings for your browser.

Other than that, I'm about out of ideas. If I think of anything else, I'll post again.

Good Luck... Raybro

11. rugrat

rugrat

Deb,
    What web email service are you using? When you clicked "save target" that only saves the web address where the attachment is coming from. Is there an option in your web email to "download" attachments?

12. rugrat

rugrat

13. Deb123

Deb123 Thread Starter

Rugrat,

Sorry I wasn't able to post till now.
    I really ready to pitch this computer. The problem is can't print from the laptop but can open the attachments and it is bellsouth also, the desktop win98 the printer is hooked to will print but won't open the attachments.
    The think is I am not that computer knowledgable at least with this part of it.
    For some reason the desktop use to open attachments fine. I had thought they were opening in code because they were trying to open in wordpad and were too big.
    But I don't know, I then also thought is was a security issue because I read that somewhere and I did some weeks back go to Microsoft and install some 98updates.

Yes I use bellsouth's webemail, though I have Outlook I have never used it and when I try to it says it is not connected and according to bellsouth, I can't have both.
    But is the set the same on the laptop and they will open on it. I just need them to open on the desktop.

Today I opened Microsoft Works and tried to open them that way from the one I saved on my desktop and in wordpad but they both open with code.
    I even tried to go back and save it to my desktop and then go to works before I opened it and then again got "performed a illegal operation".
    Again the one that is pdf does open.

Is their some type of setting that directs it to open in code?

Deb123

Rugrat, just released I really didn't answer your question, yes if I right click on the attachment "save as target" is the only save there.
    If I left click I get the box that says it is a wordpad doc " do you want to run, save and so on, if I click run I get the illegal operation and if I save it in word or anywhere it opens in code.
    Deb123

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/490819

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice