1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win98SE "complete" shutdown

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by tdh2112, Feb 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tdh2112

tdh2112 Thread Starter

Hi all!

I remember seeing somewhere on some site at some time that there is a way, be it through a reg hack or a setting or something that you can make a pc "completely" shut down.

What I mean by this is I am using a machine at work that, when I shut down Win98, it will shut down and leave the "It's now safe to turn off your computer" message on the screen. The problem is, the box is tucked neatly in the back corner under my desk, and we have to shut down our pcs every night. I am willing to turn the machine on by crawling around, but shutting down is another story, as at that point I just want to get out of there and go home. No crawling at that time please.

My boss says that it is the type of mobo that does this and there is no fix, but I remember that there was something else.

Can anyone help me leave work on time more often?

-tim

2. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, Is it win98FE or Second Ed.? Networked? Does the boss care if you do this?

3. Corrosive

Corrosive

I'm not sure how to do it through Windows, but I think you get special devices that plug in-line with a power cable (like a circuit breaker) with a timer you can set to turn it on or off at a certain time. This would work for you if you always go home at the same time each day and do not work overtime (nothing worse than working at a document for you're PC to cut out on you!)

4. Del

Del

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    With some BIOS setups, you can prevent this from happening by changing "Enable Power Management" to "Enabled" instead of "Disabled".

Frank's Windows 95/98 Tips :)

6. brindle

brindle

Am I missing something here? TDH2112 wants to shut down his\she puter (98se OS) at night without crawling under the desk, is that right?
    whatever happen to the start,shutdown,shutdown method...I must be asleep

7. Del

Del

The on / off switch must be on the back of the computer. How about getting a power strip and plugging it into that, then just hit the switch on the power bar. That's what I do with my old puter.

8. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, The person's problem is that the computer is way down, under their desk, toward the back...they just simply want automatic shutdown. Newer machines support this under win98, and we don't know the age/ type of computer they have.
    Either that, or as someone said above, the power switch is on the back of the computer....I doubt that, there are power switches on some power supplies, but I have never seen a computer without a front switch, but have seen a few that were not working...which could also be the problem.
    When a system like this has the drive formatted, or Setup Defaults may be loaded in the BIOS, this can also arise.
    You have to go into the BIOS, and reset things....and in Windows, Power Management, set it to shut down when you click Shut Down. I think.
    The Win98se shutdown patch may or may not help.
    Probably the easiest and quickest way would be as Del says, get a power strip near enough to where you are sitting so you can hit that switch when the "It is now safe...etc" comes up.
    I know lots of older, half crippled folks with computers that are set up this way, so they do not have to bend down.
    Win98SE should shut down from Start>Shutdown, though, and if the poster wants to fool with it, I bet we can get it to!

9. Del

Del

I had a Compaq that is about 6 years old and the only switch was on the back of the tower, had it rigged with a power strip, used my toe to turn it on and off.
    But then I'm not ticklish..
    Do the same and put the strip where you can reach it easy.

10. tdh2112

tdh2112 Thread Starter

Thanks all for your suggestions, but nothing has been able to do the trick yet. I tried the PM in the BIOS, and also PM under Win Control Panel, but there was no option in the CP for telling it to shut down.

For clarification, it is a Win98SE box, which is networked, but does not have connection to the internet.

Furthermore, Windows does shut down properly (I already applied the fixes), but the power supply does not shut off. Just the "It's now safe to turn off..." message stays on the screen. The power button is on the front of the box, but it is too far back to just reach it.

I may just have to do the power strip thing. Good thing I'm not ticklish either...

-tim

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!