win98se hangs bad whene I right click

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

agoodjohn

win98se hangs bad whene I right click amd 1000 29 gb 512 sdram
was ok but now real bad.
If I right click any thing ie desktop my computer it goes into a long 60seconds then finaly gives me the menue.
Have reinstalled win98se over itself but no better.
any Help please.
regards Alan G

Alan
In the registry start\run type in regedit..........
There is a setting in the registry is set other than zero can cause delays. The data line is called Menushowdelay all one word.
The key is located hkey_current_user\control panel\desktop
click on the desktop folder in the left pane and look in the right pane for Menushowdelay. Click edit\modify and set value to zero.
click ok and exit registry.
Restart your system and see if delay is gone.
If not go to the registry editor again and click edit click find and type in menushowdelay and click find next. Review each and every occurance and set to zero.
When done exit registry and restart system and see if problem is
fixed.
Dave

In addition to the advice Davey posted, here are two more things to look for.
How many fonts do you have installed? If you are overloaded, the right click menu is slowed.
Here's a link to tell you what not to delete.
http://graphicssoft.about.com/library/extra/bldefaultfonts.htm?once=true&

and another about Font Overload
http://graphicssoft.about.com/libra...nce=true&rnk=r1&terms=windows+font+management

Do you use McAfee Anti Virus?
If so try this. Go to start>run and type regedit. Press enter.
Navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Network Associates\TVD\Shared Components\On Access Scanner\McShield\Configuration

Double-click on ScannerThreadTimeout and change the value to eight f 's (ffffffff)

Close and restart VShield.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online