1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

win98se repair

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by johnpost, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. johnpost

johnpost Thread Starter

Using win98se on new machine running fine for many months.

Had a "unable to read registry" error, it wanted to attempt to restore and I let it. It produced a 5MB file. My last registry backups were about 10MB. I attempted to load one of these recent backups, it wouldn't take the last two recent but did take the third last.

I frequently get errors at bootup, mostly msgsrv32 having a general protection fault in module drvtr95.drv, but other errors too. Because of all that msgsrv32 does i get frequent application crashes and sometimes system crashes.

I tried a reinstall of win98se and it had no effect.

I recall somewhere specifying a full overwrite or just a repair of files, but I don't see that option now. If it's attempting to only repair files it is finding some of the system OK when it is not.

Maybe it's the time of year (cold winter) and the amount of work I still need to do outside has my brain fatigued. I used to handle stuff like this but I can't get a handle on this at the moment.

thanks

2. stevecook

stevecook

Have you tried running System File Checker?
    System Properties - tools - system file checker.

3. 1069

Hi,

To repair the registry goto Start > Run and type in scanregw.exe

If this fails to resolve your problem try:

Start > Shutdown > Restart in MSDOS. At the command prompt type in scanreg /restore (note space after scanreg) Select a previous date from the 5 options.

4. johnpost

johnpost Thread Starter

thanks, i'll keep those utils in mind. i've heard of both but didn't remember them in time.
    it would have saved alot for me.

a friend gave me a copy of win2k that he abandoned, he said it would be more stable. i tried that install and it didn't work. so i trashed windows and reinstalled 98se. so i'm running again but now need to reinstall drivers, applications and rebuild.

thanks

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/430593

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice