1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

win98se sometimes dosen't shut down right

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by muruga, Feb 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. muruga

muruga Thread Starter

A strange problem. This is fairly recent (in the past 8 months) My system will not shut down properly - seems to be related to having been on line (which I do a lot). when I go to shut down it either hangs on the shut down screen or (This is the really bizarre thing) it just shuts the monitor and I do not even see the screen saying "Windows 98 is now shutting down."
    Only thing I can do is reboot and then shut down or do an ALt-ctrl-del and close off all apps.
    This is annoying.
    Any clear advice is appreciated.
    I have lots of RAM and run Win 98SE

2. buckaroo

buckaroo

Have you periodically visited the Windows Update site to download critical and recommended updates? One of the recommended updates was a fix for shut down problems with WIN 98. Not that it cured all shut down ills.

Does this happen all the time or just occasionaly?

If it shuts down normally after you shut down running applications, then you may be able to identify which application is causing this by using alt-ctrl-del and the process of elimination to zero in on the particular application.

3. muruga

muruga Thread Starter

the only update I did was "critical security" updates to OE. Have not seen an update addressing this issue specifically - but i will check it out. I do believe it is related to online use, that is the problem comes if I try to shut down right after being on line, but if i wait a long time and run other apps I can shut down OK.
    BTW I notice a similar problemif I try to shut down right after doing a print job.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!