1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win98SE Startup Problem

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Moemen, Oct 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Moemen

Moemen Thread Starter

On a VAIO portable , with 98se installed, the following suddenly happened:

- The computer displayed a message saying that HIMEM.SYS is missing or corrupted.

- Upon checking CONFIG.SYS, I found it was empty. So I restored it from CONFIG.BAK which contained HIMEM.SYS

- After restarting, the windows loads and then says that I'm running a MS-DOS application, and asks me if I want to return to windows [enter=yes, esc=no]. Pressing YES just does the same thing: rebooting and endig up with the same question over and over. Pressing NO takes me to the DOS prompt.

- I tried adding REM before all the lines in AUTOEXEC.BAT but it didn't help. I thought a program might be starting in it

any suggestions?

2. beekeeper

beekeeper

Just found this - hope it helps:

Click on the start button, go to run.
    Type in sysedit, and press enter.
    This will open up several windows, the first of which should be autoexec.bat.
    Place the cursor at the front of the first line and press enter. If there are no previous entries then skip that step.
    In the space that we made add the following line.
    SET DOS16M=2
    Click on the x in the top right hand corner of the window. It will ask you if you want to save the changes made to the autoexec.bat. Click on the yes button.
    Click on the start button, choose shutdown and shutdown down your computer.
    The computer should now restart with out any problems.

3. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Restart in Safe Mode:

(tap F8 five times per second during a restart; Choose option number three (3) in the Windows Startup dialog box using the arrow keys below the Delete key, and strike the Enter key; Click Ok when prompted).

Cure Your Ills With the System File Checker
    Windows 98

When you're having trouble with Windows 98--and who doesn't at some point--you might want to try a little-known utility called the System File Checker. Close all open programs and go to Run in the Start menu. Type sfc and click OK.
    Check the Scan For Altered Files radio button and click Start. SFC will look for files that have been corrupted. If it finds any, you can use it to extract clean versions of the files directly from your installation disk.

Or

To start System File Checker, follow these steps:
    Click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, click System Information, and then click System File Checker on the Tools menu.

You may need a Win98 install CD to extract files from.

4. Moemen

Moemen Thread Starter

Thanx guys....but both methods didn't work!

I tried running scanreg /fix and it told me that I have 1 error but there is no disk space to correct it, although I have about 2 GB of free space on drive c:

Any suggestions?

5. Moemen

Moemen Thread Starter

just bringing the topic to the top...
    anyone here has any idea why windows is behaving like this all of a sudden?

6. skyman

skyman

May sound silly but...

Pull your ram sticks and reseat them.

Happened to me and I found that I had a defective ram stick. Replaced it and problem was solved.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169904

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice