1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

win98se, system commander and XP!

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by witty, Oct 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. witty

witty Thread Starter

Hi all,

I'd appreciate some help.

I've got win98se on the first partition of the hd, installed system commander, it has set up the secondary partition and is awaiting the new os. I've downloaded the XP boot disks and have tried to install XP on the second partition. However, the bootdisks aren't picking up the cd-rom's, so isn't able to install XP ...... is there anything I can do to resolve this issue?

Thanks in advance.
    Witty

2. Miz

Miz

Have you tried booting with the XP CD in the CD drive with the computer set to boot from the CD? Using the CD, you can then set up XP with a dual boot. That's generally the best way to do any sort of XP install.

Just be sure to take your time, read each screen carefully as it comes up and double check that you've made the correct choices on each before proceeding.

3. witty

witty Thread Starter

Miz,

Thanks for the info. However, I obviously had a brain fart today. What I needed to do was place an older os for a second into the cd-rom to make it use the XP version. Yep, crazy, but now have both 98se and xp on the same hd.:)

regards
    witty

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169875

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice