1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win98SE wireless connection

Discussion in 'Networking' started by scrooge88, Sep 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scrooge88

scrooge88 Thread Starter

I have a desktop (WinXP) and laptop (Win98SE) connected thru a Belkin wireless router. Router is connected to Cable modem. Direct cable connections to router work fine (LAN, Internet) from both PCs. I have tried two wireless adaptors(PCMIA and USB) for laptop but cannot connect to internet. The adaptor can see the wireless signal but I cannot ping the router or desktop. The desktop can ping the laptop and can see shared files on the laptop. The USB adaptor works fine from the XP desktop, so wireless router, settings and adaptor work. I have tried static IP address as well with no luck. Encryption, firewalls, AV all off. Belkin and Netgear tech support stumped. Help!

2. tronh

tronh

You say wired works, so I assume you have an Ethernet adapter in the laptop. Win98 tcp/ip does not like 2 active network adapters (in my experience). Netbios sort of works, which is why you can see windows shares, but TCP/IP is not working on the wireless adapter. Try to "disable in this hardware profile" the Ethernet adapter (or if it's a PC Card, just take it out).

3. scrooge88

scrooge88 Thread Starter

Whoa! you are good! That was the problem. I set up a wired and wireless profile. Now when I boot up, it asks me to select which one. You would think that the manufactures would include that caution in their Win 98 setups and tech support.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/272662

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice