1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

win98won't boot,"command interpreter"needed??

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by cotojo, Sep 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cotojo

cotojo Thread Starter

help please,suddenly windows98 won't come on, everything seems normal when I turn the computer on,but windows just flashes real fast and then,"type the name of the command interpreter [e.g.-c:/windows/command.com]
    c> "
    What's this mean,please help, thank you in advance!
    safe mode and every other cheap trick I know which isn't much,doesn't change the result.Please help

2. mobo

mobo

First download a 98 Se bootdisk to your desktop. Then insert a blank floppy in the drive then dowble click on the downloaded file to start the loading of the floppy. Then reboot the pc with the bootdisk in the drive. When prompted select without cdrom support then at the a:> prompt type sys c: and whan complete remove the disk and restart again..

3. cotojo

cotojo Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply,I haven't tried it yet{at work now} but I wonder since I don't have desktop ,only dos prompt c> and repeats the same statement as before no matter what I do,"type the name of the command interpreter" [e.g.-c/windows/command.com]
    c>
    but I will try unless otherwise directed,Thanks again

4. mobo

mobo

If you have a floppy at work then just download it there and delete the download from the desktop when complete.

5. Krall

Krall

I am having same problem with a pc. I was able to go to www.bootdisk.com at work and make a win9x boot disk. when i tried it at home, the computer booted to the command prompt and when I typed C: and then pushed enter it said "Invalid Drive Specification" I checked the bios and and it is set to detect the drive. also it does see the drive in the post but it just wont see it when I boot from floppy. Any ideas?

6. mobo

mobo

Type in dir c: to see if it reads any of the data on c

7. Krall

Krall

Unfortunetly no but this is wierd, I ran Fdisk and and it sees it.
    It says it is all used for one partition

8. mobo

mobo

Not really, its just telling you that you have only one single partition on the disk. Have you tried a bootdisk yet ?

9. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

From the A:\> prompt type in sys C:

Once that is done, you should be able to type in

C:
    dir

and see all the files on your HD

Remove the floppy and reboot.

10. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I have seen this error reported a lot of times; only once do I recall it ever being "resolved", and that was with the sys c: command.

The bad news usually is that the MS-DOS partition information has been corrupted. This means that you have to RE-partition and reformat the drive first. And then reinstall from scratch.

However, if Fdisk is reporting valid information, you just may have a chance.

11. cotojo

cotojo Thread Starter

HI, I started w/bootdisk in floppy after the
    C> I added this "a:\boot98se.exe"
    dos reply:

The configuration specified in your CONFIG.SYS file is too large for memory. Remove some drivers and then try again.

Is there hope??

12. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

When you created the bootable floppy, did run the setup file which was downloaded and have it copy its files to a clean floppy disk? This is done on the system that does NOT have the problem

If you did that, then what you do is place it in the floppy drive on the problem system and shutdown and restart. Or just do a ctrl-alt-del.

Once you are at the a:> prompt try following the directions given.

First enter: fdisk /status and see if you can get a valid report of partition information. If you can try entering

dir c:

do you see files and folders in the c:> directory?

Try entering:

sys c:

you should get a message "system files transferred".

Remove the floppy and try a ctr-alt-del to reboot.

13. cotojo

cotojo Thread Starter

Okay, i double clicked the file on my floppy disk, and it started installing, it asked to move the files to a disk. i copied the files to a new blank disk. I then started up the problem computer with the disk inside. i got the same reply:

type the name of the command interpreter [e.g.-c:/windows/command.com]
    C>

So, how am i supposed to get an A> prompt???where i can do what you said?
    thanks

14. mobo

mobo

Is your system set to boot from floppy first ?

15. cotojo

cotojo Thread Starter

I am changing it right now....
    it doesnt read it first, it reads it second.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168349

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice