1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Winamp media files overriding .wav

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by sweetkitten, Jan 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sweetkitten

sweetkitten Thread Starter

My sister has been having problems with sound files lately... all of a sudden, when she downloads .wav files, they are saved as Winamp Media Files. Even choosing "save as" only allows her to choose either winamp or "all files" as file types.

Even uninstalling Winamp didn't help and neither did redownloading it and REinstalling. I just can't figure out what happened to make this start all of a sudden. :confused:

Her computer was just recently formatted, and everything was running smoothly until this problem began. She's working with Win98.

Any help is appreciated! :)

2. phoneguy55

phoneguy55

you may have tried this already, but it is the first thing I would try

right click any wav file you have ....select OPEN WITH......then select CHOOSE PROGRAM from menu....find the player you want to use and check the box that says always use this program.

that should reassociate the file type with the new player.

( I use Winamp for MP3's and media player (the old one) for wavs)

3. sweetkitten

sweetkitten Thread Starter

Actually, she uses Winamp to play the sounds, but the problem is that when saving .wav files, or even when accessing previously saved .wav files, they have all become mp3's.

I think I've found the problem. We've looked under folder option and found that .wav files aren't under the registered file types. I'm at a loss as to how *that* happened, and really don't know how to go about fixing that. (Not something I've ever had to deal with before).

I'm assuming I register the wave files by adding a "new" type. Before I do so, I just want to make sure. (Don't want to mess things up :D ) If anyone could just give me a few pointers, I'd muchly appreciate it.

Thanks!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112560

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice