1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

winamp3 won't remove icons and assosiations

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by davidx, Feb 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davidx

davidx Thread Starter

Hi I tried out winamp3 and when I removed it it left its icons and every time I go to play a file thet it used to my computer looks for studio.exe (winamp3). Now i know i can change the file assosiation to another program but thats no good I want to remove winamp as whenever i change back to another program or delete a program it goes back to winamp.

also any suggestions for a player that only plays cds and mp3s without all that extra resource hogging crap that i don't want when just listerning to music.

ta;)

2. The_Egg

The_Egg

Your answer is Winamp v2.81 (not Winamp3 v1.0)
    Trust me ;)

Winamp3 v1.0 was basically a rush release
    AOL-TW (Nullsoft proprieters) gave Nullsoft a deadline and forced them to release it ahead of schedule. In effect, it's still a buggy beta, although there's been official patches and further internal dev builds released since.

btw, if you'd gone to Winamp3 -> Prefs -> Media
    and unselected everything, the problem wouldn't have happened.
    Or just go to: Windows Media Player -> Tools -> Options -> File Types/Formats
    and reassociate everything there

Winamp 2.81 is still the best all-round music player
    and is very light on reources/memory.
    If you do decide to go for it, after installation, close it, then install this official patch which contains all the latest versions of the default input/output plugins.

And, if all you want it to play is CD's and MP3's, make sure to tell it so during setup.
    (It also supports: WAV, MIDI, MOD, OGG)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117974

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice